Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11
    All the testing info will be available soon. If you check out the front of NorDevX.com I'll be updating about its progress also I'll post it here for people interested. I don't understand what your talking about with the JEDEC standards.

    I looked at the A3979 and I finally chose the A3977 simply because it stopped at 1/8th step as I feel like 1/16th step is way overkill. As you would need a machine that was very precisely made for it to be worth it. I however didn't check out the Rds on...that does make its mosfets more efficient I'll have to think about that one.

  2. Quote Originally Posted by NorDevX View Post
    ... I don't understand what your talking about with the JEDEC standards.
    Thats exactly my point... the TISSOP package heatsinking needs are very critical and the 28degC/W thermal rating is measured under strict conditions, one being the area of copper ground plane used as a heatsink and the number of vias that act as heatpipes from the contact pad to the ground plane. By shrinking the board size you've compromised your heatsink performance dramatically.

    Quote Originally Posted by NorDevX View Post
    I looked at the A3979 and I finally chose the A3977 simply because it stopped at 1/8th step as I feel like 1/16th step is way overkill. As you would need a machine that was very precisely made for it to be worth it.
    Disagree, depends on desired resolution and screws used, nothing (directly) to do with how well machine constructed.

    Quote Originally Posted by NorDevX View Post
    I however didn't check out the Rds on...that does make its mosfets more efficient I'll have to think about that one.
    Rds is your enemy, minimising it is always a good strategy, Esp on the brushless motor controller I'm designing at the mo for 250A continuous, 300A peak! The MOSFETs for that are 0.02ohm and I'll still need 10 or more per channel if the heatsink is going to be
    smaller than a football pitch

  3. #13
    This will be of more interest to the 3D printer market I think.

    It's worth sticking some optocouplers on that breakout board to cover your arse.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    the brushless motor controller I'm designing at the mo for 250A continuous, 300A peak! The MOSFETs for that are 0.02ohm and I'll still need 10 or more per channel if the heatsink is going to be
    smaller than a football pitch
    You're not the only one. What's that for? I'm guessing electric car, or reasonably high power mobility scooter?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    You're not the only one. What's that for? I'm guessing electric car, or reasonably high power mobility scooter?
    . . . I'm guessing a very fast Kettle. ..

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    You're not the only one. What's that for? I'm guessing electric car, or reasonably high power mobility scooter?
    Let's call it a mobility aid... Scooters can't take rehab seating, go off-road and have 4 wheels...

    What's yours for and would you be interested in collaborating or at least sharing ideas?

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    What's yours for
    Hard to say, it keeps changing.

    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    would you be interested in collaborating or at least sharing ideas?
    Certainly..
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

  8. #18
    Wow 250A sounds like a fun project! I'de like to change your mind about needing 1/16microstep for a cnc or similar machine.

    Lets pretend I have a screw that takes 10 revolutions to complete 1inch. A stepper motor that takes 200 full steps to complete one revolution.

    If I use 1/16th step it will take 200(steps)x16x10=32000steps to complete 10 revolutions and go an inch. Now you just take 1/32000 =.000031inches which is your resolution. Lol that's a really high resolution. Even at full step resolution is good at .0005 inches...this will vary with your threads per inch/meter. Microstepping is definitly needed though as it makes everything much smoother and you have control over your resolution but I see no reason to go super high with microstepping. Unless you have 2tpi and want .0001 then it is very usefull...now I'm curious what microstep are all of you using on your machines right now?

  9. #19
    Whilst I agree that the higher resolution microstepping being available with the newer IC is not much especially useful, that statement is largely irrelevant - the lower Rds alone is the reason to use the A3979, especially when you're trying to make this compact. Lower Rds means lower heat dissipation, which means less space is needed to extract the heat, i.e. the heatsink is smaller.

    Quote Originally Posted by NorDevX View Post
    Unless you have 2tpi and want .0001 then it is very usefull...now I'm curious what microstep are all of you using on your machines right now?
    Not really, as if you really need extra resolution you'd change the drive ratio between the screw and the motor as the accuracy of micro-stepping is limited. A lot of people here use 10mm pitch screws driven 1:1, so that's effectively 2.54tpi...but the main factors in choosing the microstepping valua are the maximum frequency your controller can output, the maximum feedrate you require and the value which causes the least resonance in the machine.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 23-09-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

  10. #20
    Every time you microstep you loose torque.
    So by the time you drop down to 1/16th and need to overcome stiction it will miss steps unit it has enough to make a sudden move so basically anything over 8 is a waste of time.

    Also remember systems can't remember microsteps so a shut down and start up will go to the nearest full step regardless of where it was.
    John S -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-03-2014, 07:29 PM
  2. Stepper Driver requirements?
    By Dwayne Dibbley in forum Motor Drivers & Controllers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-07-2013, 05:29 PM
  3. best stepper driver???????
    By Ross77 in forum Motor Drivers & Controllers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 21-04-2013, 05:05 PM
  4. Which stepper driver
    By Colin Barron in forum Motor Drivers & Controllers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-09-2010, 08:33 PM
  5. Stepper Motor Driver v2.3 2A $20 !!!
    By Lee Roberts in forum Motor Drivers & Controllers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-05-2009, 10:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •