. .

Thread: Ebay Scam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CNC Machine / Router MDL-8'x4' *175mm Rack & Pinion Flat Pack | eBay

I smell a scam! Watch your backs.

Bank transfer before collection.
    Text from an old listing.
    No feedback.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Looks like a scam, especially given the sellers location...

reported it to ebay
    John S -

REALLY?! How did anyone ever sell anything if having feedback of zero means you're a scammer? Using bank transfer for payment is pretty common among businesses...the guy IS new after all and is probably requesting this to avoid rubber cheques. Having said that, he *could* accept PayPal or Cash On Collection...and maybe he would...if anyone bothered to ask?

Lives in leicester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 362.
    Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    REALLY?! How did anyone ever sell anything if having feedback of zero means you're a scammer? Using bank transfer for payment is pretty common among businesses...the guy IS new after all and is probably requesting this to avoid rubber cheques. Having said that, he *could* accept PayPal or Cash On Collection...and maybe he would...if anyone bothered to ask?
    have you read the discription?
    PLEASE NOTE!!! Payment must be made through bank transfer in 24 hours after auction closes otherwise i will relist the item again for sale.

location home???

Quote Originally Posted by deisel View Post
    Payment must be made through bank transfer in 24 hours after auction closes otherwise i will relist the item again for sale.
    AND??? He's not saying you HAVE to pay before collecting. My point is that he could be covering his ass against none-payers...but nobody knows whether he would accept payment on collection...because nobody has asked! It could easily be a scam. It could easily be a newbie mistake.

I think it's a case of "buyer beware" rather than burning the seller on the stake.
    Last edited by birchy; 21-09-2013 at 06:04 PM.

As I said, the text is copied from an old listed (along with the reason for selling, very suspect).

I did contact try to get a phone number out of the seller before I posted.

I've seen a number of suspect listings for CNC routers, this is part of larger scam I suspect.

Lives in leicester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 362.
    Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    AND??? He's not saying you HAVE to pay before collecting. My point is that he could be covering his ass against none-payers.
    but he is. quote(PLEASE NOTE!!! Payment must be made through bank transfer in 24 hours)
    so we have noted!!
    i asked him earlier where in the country he was a postcode anything and got no reply.. yet..

it almost mirrors another chap on ebay twice trying to sell a cnc he didnt own several month back who geoffrey had a run in with,
    theres nothing wrong with saying heads up lads this one stinks.
    edit looks like its been pulled.
    Last edited by dazza; 21-09-2013 at 07:30 PM.

I agree with diesel, saying payment *must* be made by a particular method else the transaction's cancelled does make it pretty clear that he's not interested in payment by any other method.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

I agree, it's probably a scam but not definitely. My point is that it could be perfectly innocent and we're all accusing some poor newbie of being a scammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information