Hi Everyone,

I have been lingering in the background here for some time looking with envy at all the different build logs.

I have decided that i am going to have a go at building one and am looking for some critique and advice on a design that would work.

I unfortunately dont have a milling machine so was originally going to convert a milling machine to CNC to assist with the building of the router but they seem to be going for quite a lot 2nd hand so i thought i would go straight for the router.

I was thinking that i would use ali extrusion for the base of the router for the accuracy of the extrusion, but after reading up about using auto leveling resin to mount the rails on i have considered switching back to 100x50x5mm steel box section.

I plan on using a standard 2.2kw spindle but have yet to design the z axis, i was hoping to get the base and the gantry sorted before considering the z designs.

I plan to use the router to cut mdf and plywood but also to engrave acrylic and pcbs.

I am thinking about using SBR20 rails on the X axis but not yet sure about Y and Z, possibly linear guide rails but looking for a bit of advice on this.

In terms of ball screws i was thinking of using 1605's but again would appreciate some advice on this.

I haven't decided for certain about the size of the machine yet but think that a 1000x610mm working area, being half a 6x4ft standard sheet size. Does this seem reasonable or am i being a bit optimistic?

I have had a play on sketchup and come up with the following designs, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC 21.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	10210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC 22.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	10211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC 23.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	10212