. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Magic,
    It's not purely about cost.
    Yes as you say I have paid more for the programs I use but feel more loyal to them.
    My license allows me to use it on two machines but there isn't a check on it. I probably have it on 4 or 5 machines but I can only use one machine at a time.

Main thing is i don't have to get a new license when i change computers which is quite regular these days.

Another point is also based on price, at the low prices you quote you are targeting people who can't afford high end programs like Solid Works etc. These are usually individuals who are price concious as opposed to large companies who will pay the money to get faster / better results.

This means that like me, even if they have 10 computers they can only use one.

It's all about trust, treat the user like a prospective thief and they will resent it.

Use Vectric as an example, they came from nowhere a few years ago and in the space of 4 years got awarded the Queens Award for industry. Reason ? they have a very loyal user base and a lot of their sales are by referral.

[edit] some posts came in whilst I was typing.

Irving said basically the same as I did so I'm not alone.

JCB121
    can't really comment on it.
    Downloaded the program onto my main machine and started to do the tutorials.
    The tutorials BTW are crap, doing a wine glass doesn't teach you anything. In nearly 50 years in the trade I have NEVER had to machine anything that looks like a wine glass.

Draw a shaped line, revolve it round an axis and you have a glass. Hang on, if you already have the shaped line just bang in on the lathe. you don't need any 3D program for that.

Anyway decided to put it on the laptop so i could play at night away from my desk but no, got to start all over again so lost heart as usually if I'm on my main machine I'm busy with other things.

However since then the desktop machine has been upgraded so i don't even have a working license for the program so basically wasted my money.
    Last edited by John S; 23-10-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    John S -

Thread Information