. .
    Hello guys. First, hoped I posted in right forum. :-)

I have a 6040 router from Carving-cnc which i am very happy with. Until now i have only cut 2D but now as my CNC skills have got a little better I am in a progress to upgrade my CNC with end stops and make everything a little easier.

Question: Is it possible to start and stop my Kress1050 using Mach3 and Gecko540? Have tried to search but no hits :(

Hope to get someones help! :-)

I've never used the Gecko drive but from a quick look at the manual, there are two general purpose outputs you could control a relay from and a voltage output if you wanted to put a speed controller on the spindle. I'm afraid I haven't used Mach3 either so can't be any use in how to do it but it looks possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Trulsen View Post
    Question: Is it possible to start and stop my Kress1050 using Mach3 and Gecko540? Have tried to search but no hits :(
    Yes to just start and stop the Spindle then it's easy. Like Freddie says the G540 has 2 outputs which can switch upto 1A and 50V can be used to switch Relay coils ON/OFF. Most relays coils are in the milliamp range and you'd probably use 5v, 12v or 24V dependant on what's easily available to you.? . . . . Very easy to wire but best ask again when you are ready to do this.!

If you want to control speed has well then it's not so easy.!! While the G540 outputs 0-10V Analog speed control signal you will still need a speed controller that uses this signal. For this your best option is the Super PID and it will help increase torque has well.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 26-09-2013 at 07:55 PM.

That sounds pretty good! :D

Could one of you help me and link to needed parts from ebay?

I have this combo: 3 Axis Electronics Kit | CNCRouterParts, so my power supply is 48V. I do not need to control speed of my spindle. At least not for now :-) Want to keep it simple, but it is very nice to start/stop from Mach3 :)

This would be what you want. IACS 2 Channel Relay Board 2CH 10A 3V 5V 9V 12V 24V 36V 48V Finder HUIKE SPDT | eBay

This will give you 2x 10A relays so you could use either output 1 to switch both channels at same time, say for instance switching vacuum on at same time. . . . OR . . . Have 1 output on each channel and individually control each relay. This instance would be used say for turning on a coolant pump before or after the spindle.

If you buy the 48V supply voltage then you can run it from the PSU which powers the Gecko.

The other option is to just buy individual 48Vdc 10A relays for about £5 each but the above option is much neater IMO.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-09-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Lots of cheaper ones available, e.g:

2-Channel Relay Module Optocoupler Expansion Board Single-chip Control #T1K | eBay

But as Jazz said, as the gecko can source 1A on the outputs you could connect a relay directly and save a negligible amount of money over the above one!

Edit: Here's some cheap 48V relays:
    http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivit...10a/dp/1891699
    http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivit...16a/dp/1891725

Lots of ways to do it...
    Last edited by Jonathan; 27-09-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Bloody hell how do they make that and deliver it for £1.62.!!! . . . Unbelievable.!!!

Just noticed thou it's 12V and to eliminate another PSU 48V is best.!! . . . I know before you say it Jon he could still buy 12V supply for less than one I posted but my option is much neater and was just a quick search on Ebay to give the guy an idea.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Thank you guys :-)

How should I then wire my Kress? I guess only the ON/OFF switch shall be connected to the relay and two cables from the Gecko to switch the relay On or Off?

Quote Originally Posted by Trulsen View Post
    Thank you guys :-)

How should I then wire my Kress? I guess only the ON/OFF switch shall be connected to the relay and two cables from the Gecko to switch the relay On or Off?
    First the Gecko G540 manual shows how to wire it's outputs to Relay coils. Then all you do is break either the Live and Neutral or just one of them depending if your Relay has 1 or 2 poles of the power cable to Kress.

Thread Information