. .
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    looking like a really solid lump!!! How about drab (a sort of olive green) and "big bertha"? Well done. G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    How about drab (a sort of olive green)
    I remember it was Mid Brunswick Green that was the preferred colour year ago.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

So here is my baby. Its huge. I am a bit surprised how big that is.
    I have found you a ball screw to fit it:-

Attachment 13332

You might need bigger servo's though. ..Clive

where did you find that ball screw picture?

Olive green is a good idea. Some pieces black or and dark grey. I tried with the other green Mid Brunswick Green, but did not like it
    Unfortunately someone took the name big berta . But lets make it alive, then the name.

Today started soldering the bed frame and bought the epoxy. As i stopped working at all except on the machine, money flows like water through my fingers. So i bought at the end the Spanish epoxy with very similar properties like the WS. from choice of three i choose the most similar. There were seemingly better though some data was not clear, from the one that could concern, i mean. 125eur with shipping for 5kg pack +1.6kg hardener.

Basically 90 min gel time, max isotherm 40C, compression strength 580kg/cm2, yellowish, contraction 0.1%, density 1.08 gr/cm3 which roughly translates to 6.5l so ~20eur /lit mix, I cross my fingers that it works ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epoxy.PNG 
Views:	404 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	13341

It seems that the machine will lay on the floor with no legs. have to figure where to fix some hooks for the future and most importantly some plates to lift it using car jack. To level it for the epoxy pouring. Cause now it is unliftable already.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 09-09-2014 at 12:18 AM.

where did you find that ball screw picture?
    I made it on my router with the 4th axis. ..Clive

el martillo de Thoryavski
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post

Today started soldering the bed frame and bought the epoxy. As i stopped working at all except on the machine, money flows like water through my fingers. So i bought at the end the Spanish epoxy with very similar properties like the WS. from choice of three i choose the most similar. There were seemingly better though some data was not clear, from the one that could concern, i mean. 125eur with shipping for 5kg pack +1.6kg hardener.

Basically 90 min gel time, max isotherm 40C, compression strength 580kg/cm2, yellowish, contraction 0.1%, density 1.08 gr/cm3 which roughly translates to 6.5l so ~20eur /lit mix, I cross my fingers that it works ok.

Name:	epoxy.PNG 
Views:	404 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	13341

It seems that the machine will lay on the floor with no legs. have to figure where to fix some hooks for the future and most importantly some plates to lift it using car jack. To level it for the epoxy pouring. Cause now it is unliftable already.
    Now going cheap was really bad idea. Ok, it would have saved me 100euro on this size of structure...

But here is what happened:
    The epoxy poured extremely well. It leveled well. And for 4 hours it was perfect. As gel time was 90min, i thought well, i cheated destiny. But no. After the 4rth hour it shrank in volume and there was not 20mm wide flat area in the center to munt the rail. I did the test 50mm wide channel, instead of the 40mm normal with WS 105+209. Read a lot why and it seems the reason is that the epoxy is low quality and contains non reacting solvents that vaporize when the hardening starts. On the long axis it was straight, so its not a mixing problem, anyways i mix it at least 5 minutes and change the can before pouring, so not my mistake. Repeated twice the test-same result.

So i took a risque and lost. My reasons were not that i am greedy, but the price difference multiplied by the future machines is quite some money. However i just returned the 5_1.6kg epoxy so the loss is about the cost of shipping, the time and 1 lit of epoxy.

Conclusions:
    1.Seems the biggest unaccounted problem for that purpose is the shrinkage, in other words the purity of the epoxy. Hence the price of good epoxies :-). Otherwise flatness and surface quality is more a result of good mixing and following exact mixture to the gram and temperature when pouring.
    2. Judging epoxies from their technical sheets means nothing. It can seem on paper right but poor in reality
    3. Epoxies with very high viscosity >700 cps of mixture maybe contain something that will evaporate later

Left on the picture is WS 105+209 at the time of pouring and cured. Also the spanish epoxy untill 4h. Right is the shrinkage when 8h passed

Name:	contraccion 401_432.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	13381

At the moment of pouring till 4h

Name:	20140913_160159.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	13382

The problem after 8h of curing, a bit difficult to be seen but the drawing above shows it better. On the second picture the shrinkage lines can be seen at the reflection distortion . Not that it could not have worked as we are talking about 0.3mm here and on the long axis was straight, but not worth the additional fiddling.

Name:	20140914_191151.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	13383 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140914_191401.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	13384
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 15-09-2014 at 11:43 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I don't think that you can blame the quality of the epoxy. It did what it was designed to do. I think that epoxies containing solvents are typically used for coating, so that they spread well - which is what your epoxy did! They are definitely not recommended for use as adhesives or fillers, mainly because of the shrinkage as the solvent evaporates. However, I didn't know this either until a couple of days ago when I read an article on the use of epoxies for adhesives and coating! Something to watch out for if anyone is looking for an alternative to the usual named brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I don't think that you can blame the quality of the epoxy. It did what it was designed to do. I think that epoxies containing solvents are typically used for coating, so that they spread well - which is what your epoxy did! They are definitely not recommended for use as adhesives or fillers, mainly because of the shrinkage as the solvent evaporates. However, I didn't know this either until a couple of days ago when I read an article on the use of epoxies for adhesives and coating! Something to watch out for if anyone is looking for an alternative to the usual named brands.
    Hi Neale,
    This is specifically a casting epoxy, its not a coating epoxy. It specifically says 0.1% shrinkage in its technical sheet, and by no means its a cheap epoxy , its simply cheaper than imported WS epoxies.
    I also read a lot of documents about epoxy and all say the same- 3 types of shrinkage, and exactly this type is due to non reacting solvents. This is not shrinkage due to temperature cause it happens after the initial hardening. From the company started to argue with me, saying this is not possible, it never happened, until the moment they understood that i know a lot of sh^t about epoxy and they agreed that this was because of the cheap solvents. That was the moment they agreed to break their policy of no return, once its opened.

What about adding a filler like ATH ?

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information