. .
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    A good way to seal the leaks around a dam before you pour your epoxy is to make up a very small amount of the epoxy and using a small brush or similar just go round the inside of the dam brushing the epoxy into place. it will run into the holes or bridge the smaller holes but because there is not a large quantity behind it, will not run right through and leak out the bottom. You only need to leave it long enough to stop flowing easily before you pour the main epoxy batch - you do not need to leave it for days to fully harden. I made my dam from gaffer tape, stuck to the sides of the rails so that the edge of the tape was above the rails. Biggest problem was peeling it away from the epoxy when the epoxy had hardened. Next time I shall try pulling it away before the epoxy has fully hardened!

I had to strip my first load of epoxy off the rails and start again, but I had already drilled the rails. I put small pieces of Sellotape over the holes and poured the epoxy over the top. I could see where the holes were and then just drilled through the epoxy after it had set. Worked for me!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Ok think that'll do. Maybe to be double sure sure I will also use silicone. I imagine that would be frustrating seeing your epoxy flushing in a not properly sealed hole. :-)

Sent from my MI 6X using Tapatalk

First time i did it not entirely right. With time discovered new ways and next time i did it welded 6mm or 8mm bar stock, distance 40mm between. Have to check if it was 8mm as it may touch the Hiwin 20 block. Better read my second build log to see how i poured a couple of times epoxy on a 3m machine untill i figure the perfect way. iin short i discovered that the most important part is to make the damned dam longer like 15 cm at least than the actual machine to compensate for the shrink and that way only one bridge is enough, and the bridge must be then outside the machine. So when all dries and shrinks, the bridge will not eat from the actual ways but from the extra length. If you know what i mean
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 26-12-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Yes thanks. I read that post already. I will follow it. I have a vacuum chamber where I can stir epoxy under vacuum. I am excited to see if it will make a difference in accuracy. Good job btw.

Quote Originally Posted by feldah View Post
    Yes thanks. I read that post already. I will follow it. I have a vacuum chamber where I can stir epoxy under vacuum. I am excited to see if it will make a difference in accuracy. Good job btw.

No difference if you stir it properly, without introducing too much air. Remember you torch it later also. But i agree that vacuum is best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    The shop

SAMSUNG SERVO MOTOR DRIVER CSDJ-04BX2, CSMQ-04BA1ANM3 400W w/CABLE thats what i bought for Z

SAMSUNG SERVO MOTOR DRIVER CSDJ-04BX2, CSMT-04BB1ANT3 400W w/CABLE thats for the gantry

Now the first motor is shorter and fatter and the second is smaller and longer, more like a typical stepper. Both are ok. When buying servo motors and drives make sure they are 220V AC, motor is standard inertia and not some specialized motor for a special purpose, that drive works in STEP DIR mode, especially take care with Iskawa as not all will work ok for CNC control. Make sure you buy them with cables as 1 cable is >100 euro or more

I was between these and Panasonic/ a bit more expensive/ but decided on price. The best thing about these drives is Autotuning. You push the button and it starts jogging for 3 seconds and that's it-its tuned.

So my recommendation is the SAMSUNG SERVO MOTOR DRIVER CSDJ-04BX2, CSMT-04BB1ANT3 400W w/CABLE as it more standard size. and smaller shaft or servo motor plus automatic tuning.

Another good options are the Minawa /Panasonic series /

The other money wise option is Chinese servo drive drive MCAC808 and 400w servo: 60ASM400 which last i checked were ~180USD if you buy lot/4/ from Shenzhen Just Motion Control Electromechanics Co.,Ltd. Write to Molly/remove space/ molly @jmc-motion.com
    Tell her Boyan from Spain send you there so my 30 email exchanges with her help you with the price.
    I would use these motors in my prototype machines and hopefully later. These are probably the cheapest servos ever directly from a manufacturer. If you send me your mail i will save you needless conversations and send you some documents about these servos.

Hope that helps. There are other options but these are my conclusions as a balance of features and moneywise

Hello Boyan.

Nice machine I have to say. Looks very stiff! How is it running these days? Do you have a lot of work for it or mostly hobby stuff?

Anyway I wanted to ask how you went about auto-tuning the axis with double servo motors (Y-axis in my eyes, not the gantry). Auto-tuning is a very nice feature in any servo motor software, but I have not figured out how to tune an axis with double servo motors.

Also how did you go about calculating the servo motor size? Perhaps you have explained this in a post somewhere, but I couldn't find it! :)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NordicCnc View Post
    Hello Boyan.

Nice machine I have to say. Looks very stiff! How is it running these days? Do you have a lot of work for it or mostly hobby stuff?

Anyway I wanted to ask how you went about auto-tuning the axis with double servo motors (Y-axis in my eyes, not the gantry). Auto-tuning is a very nice feature in any servo motor software, but I have not figured out how to tune an axis with double servo motors.

Also how did you go about calculating the servo motor size? Perhaps you have explained this in a post somewhere, but I couldn't find it! :)

Thanks!
    Thanks!

I have sufficient work for the machine. Not as much as it deserves though. I make some product on it, sometimes for other people and sometimes cut letters for signs.

I tuned the Z and used same parameters on the other axis, as more or less motors a properly calculated for the loads on each axis, working at optimum.

Then one day i figured that if i move left or right motor 5mm, its not a problem as the gantry is like 2 meters. So there is play enough. Then i entered in Samsung software and limited the movement to 5mm each side and tuned the axis like that. With a short movement. I say 5mm just to be on the safe side, it could have been 10-15mm, on such a long gantry this is like nothing, before the other side tries to engage. In Real life if i switch off 1 motor i can move the gantry front/back even with one motor only .Of course autotuning stresses the thing, so better in the short safe range. Check all that range adjustment on the Z firts, so you dont bend something.

The servo motor size Jonathan or Dean helped me, its on the first pages somewhere. But basically 400 or 750W ac servo at 230vac are the thing for a machine like that. I went with 400w as ballnut is geared 3:2 so at 3k rpm of motor i am at 20k mm / min and my motor power is multiplied by 1.5 at that ratio. My motors support up to 6k rpm so ...

As far as i understand the things, Panasonic, Samsung or other brand servos are way better than the chinese ones, so if i was going with China servos would have went with 750w ones, as price is irrelevant also on the chinese servos. No big difference. But remember. All time i am talking about AC servos driven by 230VAC drives.

Sounds good that you have work for the machine!

Thanks Boyan, for all the answers.

I like your idea and it makes sense to perform auto-tuning like that.

Myself I have build log (build in real life not started yet) if you are interrested to check it out.

Anyway I was thinking about those servo sizes as well. I will take your advice and get Delta 750W servos! Perhaps also 2020 (plan was 2010 with 400W servos) ballscrews to get a crazy speed of 30-40m/min, depending on what gear ratio I choose (3:2 or 2:1).

Not sure if I ever will need that speed but nice to have some room for experimenting.

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

11. Hi Boyan. Inspiring. After reading this thread I had to join the forum, just to say how cool your machine is and how impressed with your work I am. Thanks so much for sharing. I am partway through building a beast-sh 1.2 x 2.4m steel and epoxy machine, which I plan to run with similar Samsung servos to you. I am just debating whether to spin the 2 long ballscrews or their ball nuts to eliminate the potential problem of whipping.
    Like you I am aiming at snappy ;)
    Anyway, I wonder if you would be able to share some of the details of how you designed / constructed that area where the servos, belt drive the ballnuts and attach to the gantry ends?
    Thanks again for your inspiring work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    I am partway through building a beast-sh 1.2 x 2.4m steel and epoxy machine, which I plan to run with similar Samsung servos to you. I am just debating whether to spin the 2 long ballscrews or their ball nuts to eliminate the potential problem of whipping.
    Like you I am aiming at snappy ;)
    Anyway, I wonder if you would be able to share some of the details of how you designed / constructed that area where the servos, belt drive the ballnuts and attach to the gantry ends?
    Thanks again for your inspiring work!
    Hi,
    will take photos

Definitely go rotating nuts. Normally i run it at 8000 mm/min for wood as faster wood will chip. But for foam or 3d jobs i run it 16.000 or faster. And being snappy means no slowing in corners. Especially important if doing deep trochoidal toolpaths. Meaning a very serious difference in time. Not that a 10.000 mm min max speed machine is not enough for a normal work, but if you have an order of say 100 doors or something the difference will be like 4 or 5 more days to do the job. And talking about profiling the panels only. Not 3d job

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread Information