. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all.

I am nearly ready to wire up my Stepper Motors to there relevant Drivers. But the more i look into it, the more i become confused?

I have 2, NEMA 23's (SY57) & 1, NEMA 23 (SY60) all 3 have 8 wires coming out of the body through a built in Grommet.
    I have read were it is best to wire the cables directly on to the Driver, I have read were you can use XLR plugs & sockets, i have read i need to screen the wires, i have read there is no need to screen the wires, i will be wiring in Bi Polar, therefore 4 of the wires will not be used, do i cut these off near to the body, how do i screen the wires, and which ones ? if i use screened cable do i have to go into the stepper and remove the original wiring at source?

Can anyone help please, and remove this confusion.

Regards

Ray

With bipolar wiring you still use all the wires, by putting the coils in series or parallel. Parallel is almost invariably the better option, so don't start cutting them off! Consult the diagrams in the motor datasheet.
    If using shielded wire the shielding goes round all 4 cores, and no you never 'go into' the motor as dismantling it generally demagnetizes the rotor, which drastically reduces the torque output.

4-core CY shielded cable is commonly used. Connect the shielding to earth at just the driver end. You only really need connectors if you're planning on swapping motors/drivers round, but people often include them anyway.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Ok first you do need all wires DONT CUT ANY. . . . You have 4 pairs not 4 used and 4 spare. If your unsure then post the model numbers or data sheets and I'll tell you the wire colours to join together.

You definitely need shielded wire but you only connect the shield to ground at the Control box end.

XLR plugs and sockets are Ok and I use them with out any problems. They are quick and easy to disconnect and stay locked in but they can be fiddly to wire and you can't afford stray wires so get some heat shrink.
    The plugs and sockets have a little screw for the Sheild so connect these up on each so sheild goes back to ground just leave the sheild at motor end off, cover it with Shrink wrap to tidy straddler wires.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 30-09-2013 at 03:56 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

It's never a good idea to cut spare wires off anything, best to terminate them with some heat shrink sleeving if unused.
    I'm planning to mount a terminal box to the machine where all the on board equipment will be wired to using DIN Rail mounted terminals, there will be a wall mount enclosure to house the driver boards, bob, powers supplies, VFD, etc. and this will have a similar set of terminals. All that remains is to connect the two boxes together, this will also aid in moving the machine. My industrial electrical background 'forces' me to do it this way. For signal cable CAT5 twisted pairs is quite but it's not designed for flexing back and forth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I'm planning to mount a terminal box to the machine where all the on board equipment will be wired to using DIN Rail mounted terminals, there will be a wall mount enclosure to house the driver boards, bob, powers supplies, VFD, etc.
    And here's one I made earlier. . !!!! . . . . Well started it just not finished yet. . Lol Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0392.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	10284

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

The very thing

Hi Jazz

Many thanks, the wires on my Stepper motors are long enough to reach the drivers in my cabinet, how do i sheild them if i do that?

Regards

Ray

Hi Jazz

This is my Cabinet ?

RayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Cabinet Front Interior.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	10285

Quote Originally Posted by manofgresley View Post
    Hi Jazz

Many thanks, the wires on my Stepper motors are long enough to reach the drivers in my cabinet, how do i sheild them if i do that?
    Personally I'd use some shielded cable and shorten wires on motors and run this back to cabinet.
    One thing I've done in past is have a small connection box near Stepper so unshielded wires to motor are short, I wrap these with foil and shrink wrap then use Gremflex shield on outer. Then run shielded wire from connection box back to control box.

Failing that then you could just wrap with aluminium foil to act has rough shield and then shrink wrap then cover with this Gremflex like seen here. CNC wiring Accessories Wouldn't be my first choice thou.!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by manofgresley View Post
    Hi Jazz

This is my Cabinet ?

RayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Cabinet Front Interior.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	10285
    Ray I know you have layed it out now but I would move the Bob away from the PSU it's rather close and you want to keep signal wires away from power cables.
    Try to run signal wires and power wires in separate trunking, basicly run your power up one side and signals up other. Obviously they have to meet at some point but the aim is minimise this the most you can.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information