. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    but I don't know which pins on my spindle are actually U V & W.....so was hoping someone could say by referencing from the keying prong? (assuming they are all standard?)
    It's arbitary. Just connect the 3 spindle power wires to U, V and W in any order and all that will happen if the order is 'wrong' is the spindle will spin the wrong way. If so, then as has been said, just swap any two of U, V & W.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Cheers Jon saved me some typing. .

It's occured to me that you might not be sure which are UVW and which is not connected (or earth)? If so then just use a multimeter, set it to measure resistance and check the resistances between all 4 pins - you should find that 3 of them (UVW) are virtually identical, and one is open circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It's arbitary. Just connect the 3 spindle power wires to U, V and W in any order and all that will happen if the order is 'wrong' is the spindle will spin the wrong way. If so, then as has been said, just swap any two of U, V & W.
    I'm obviously having a bad (blonde?!) day.... that's my point, I have no idea which of the four pins on the spindle's connector socket are the actual spindle's power wires (that was the main thrust of the photo earlier ...if those sockets standardized, I'd hoped someone might enlighten me which 3 of the 4 are used)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 02-10-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Option two is unscrew the connector and have a look. Whilst your at it you could solder on an earth cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Option two is unscrew the connector and have a look. Whilst your at it you could solder on an earth cable.
    Sounds like option two it is! (I've used more energy asking on forum than getting a screwdriver out! lol)

Re soldering an earth cable onto the spare pin ...is this towards connecting an earth to the spindle's casing?)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 02-10-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Re soldering an earth cable onto the spare pin ...is this towards connecting an earth to the spindle's casing?)
    Yes, so you'd want to unscrew the endcap, drill and tap a blind hole in it inside and use that to secure the cable.

Just wondering what the 'win is' by connecting an earth in the way you suggest?

The (aluminium) spindle mount conducts & the spindle chassis itself is conductive ....... the spindle mount is secured to the aluminium Z axis backplate...& I actually ground the backplate (for auto Z tool tip zeroing purposes)...therefore my spindle's casing is essentially grounded (albeit in a somewhat round about way!)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 02-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.

It's just generally a bit neater than having a separate wire poking out to the spindle mount.

As you've already grounded the Z-axis, be careful regarding ground loops...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information