. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Have you thought how you will access the mounting bolts on the Z rail blocks (4.jpg) it looks like the Y rails blocks will restrict them. On another point it seems like you are use angle iron for the rail blocks (Y) are you sure that they will be at true right angles and that the inside edge is flat and parallel to the outside edge. ..Clive
    Yes this will be an issue according to these plans but the above plans are only for giving a general idea about the machine. Specific issues ( as the one that you have mentioned ) i think will be solved with small conversions. As for the iron angles the most possible scenario is to have them perfectly milled or use aluminium angles that are more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Aluminium angle is a lot more accurate than steel so maybe you could use a thicker section aluminium angle instead.
    Do you need the full Z travel ? if not I would move the Z Hiwin blocks further apart.
    Also now is the time to work out where your cable drag chain (energy chain) will sit, you'll need three lengths of the stuff and will need to know the lengths, bend radius, internal dimensions.

Looks like it's coming together nicely.

According the plans z axis rails are 400mm the ballscrew (full length ) 501mm carriages distance (outer side 200mm) . That will give z axis a full travel of 200mm. May be ( if that will make the construction better) i will put the carriages at 250mm distance and reduce the full travel to 150mm.

Question 1
    The above conversion worth the effort ?

Question 2
    Also I would like to say that I choose to put the Y axis ballscrew at the front of the gantry in order to have the ballscrew as close as possible to Z axis and at the same time having the ballscrew exposed to the off cuts of the spindle.
    Is that correct ?

Question 3
    Do you think I will need a second side plate at both edges?

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by ba99297; 02-05-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    The creative adult, is the child who survived

Thread Information