. .
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    #2 i doubt though you could achieve same precision as with epoxy
    So when leveling across the planes, not the Rail length I mean planer level, what precision do you get with Epoxy then Boyan.? . . . . . If you can quote me figures then how are you measuring it.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    So when leveling across the planes, not the Rail length I mean planer level, what precision do you get with Epoxy then Boyan.? . . . . . If you can quote me figures then how are you measuring it.?

I was writing it down and knew you would say something :-)

Very soon i will be able to answer to you question with numbers, when i move my machine against the straight edge.

But what i was saying is: its almost impossible for you to level better the rails than the gravity levels the epoxy, speaking about them being in the same horizontal plane. measurable or not - its a fact. For me at least.

How do i know that? It was very difficult for me to straighten them left right and square them, with a helper, i could only imagine the nightmare of making them horizontal too at the same time. The thing is- i dont lie to my self, i am very sincere person and i know when i can not do truly properly something. So i am not pretending. fact is that i am also very precise and detailed person. With 2 words- if i could not do it 95% of people will not do it at all. Not to speak that how many people at the forum have 2m straight edge.

I know you have long edge, i know you do it that way, but dont compare your expertise to the people learning how to do a thing.I will not encourage any body do it that way, because IMO its the more difficult way. So what i am saying- epoxy is the way for me , not detachable sides.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    I know you have long edge, i know you do it that way, but dont compare your expertise to the people learning how to do a thing.I will not encourage any body do it that way, because IMO its the more difficult way. So what i am saying- epoxy is the way for me , not detachable sides.
    Boyan I don't have a problem with Epoxy Method and I use my self because it's quick and accurate enough for any wood router. I do have problem with people quoteing accuracy and tolerences they can't possibly measure or verify. You do this and I feel it's wrong because your guessing and giving people the wrong idea. Your input to Forum is great and appreciated by many, me included and please don't take offence. But personaly it irratates me to see figures quoted, not just by you but also others that can't be verified or should say they don't have the means to verify.

The simple fact is unless you can have the base Surfaced in one go on machine then your accurecy is limited to the tools and care you take. Unless you can measure from Accurate surface plate or CMM machine to measure tolerences then your purely guessing or assuming tolerences.

Over building and Fantasy tolerences are not required for any router designed for mostly for wood. Also if machine this size is to be used for cutting aluminium then again the tolerences needed are still low because it will be mostly limited to and probably used mostly for profile cutting and maybe the odd pocket which most decently strong routers can manage.
    It can't and will not have the tolerences needed for anything more challenging like Mould making in aluminium or harder materials without being done properly surfaced. Also at this size it would need to be substantialy stronger to be any good and last any length of time if used in more industrial way.!

Just because you can cut steel with a machine built at DIY level doesn't mean it does it very well or can do it for long.!! . . . . . To think otherwsie is foolish.!

People need to be realistic and stop quoting tolerences and accuracys they can't possible verify.! They also need to calm down and realise over building isn't clever or wise it's mostly just wasted money for the type of work they do with the machine. It also often compromises the machine if they don't match other components to there over built frames whcih they rarely do.!!

Plenty of readings regarding the accuracy in my build log.

Of course that says nothing about what might happen in the months after pouring, if the frame isn't stress relieved...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Plenty of readings regarding the accuracy in my build log.

Of course that says nothing about what might happen in the months after pouring, if the frame isn't stress relieved...
    Bit of difference in size Jonathan it's 2x width and 3 x length.!!

Thanks everybody for your answers
    Reading all these useful comments I want to say that I this machine won’t be used to achieve magic tolerances. As Dean said
    “…router designed for mostly for wood……… is to be used for cutting aluminum then again the tolerances needed are still low because it will be mostly limited to and probably used mostly for profile cutting”

To be honest I don’t know yet what exactly I am going to use the machine for. I just build a “weapon for hunting” I have never been in the “forest” before with that kind of automated “weapons”. Till now I hunt with catapult (traditional handy tools).
    I get involved with many kinds of materials ( wood, steel, alloy) and like to mix them in my construction. That is why the machine is a middle solution (all around machine). That of course means that when you earn in one level you will miss in another level. I think an all purpose machine is impossible to be build as there are parameters opposite each other ( accuracy vs size, stiffness vs light weight and all these vs cost ). The main principal that I try to achieve ( not only in cnc construction but also in my way of life ) is to have the best value for money. So I am trying to achieve the better result with the means and the efforts that I have.
    The added value of course at this attempt is your help, even your well disposed disagreements that make me understand things better. In my country we use to say that “sciolism is worst than ignorance”. Many times here in mycncuk I realized that I had sciolism for many aspects that had to do with constructions. Many myths in my mind have been basted especially with Deans help who is something more than an “auto-answer machine” . I could not not mention Jonathans help especially through his Servo sizing software and his inspired constructions, and also I cant forget that the main idea for my machine frame, come out from Syliavskis thread. And all the others that these last months participate to encourage me, correct me, and generally help go one step beyond. I know that I am not too fast in making steps, but I also know that ( for me ) the most important is to make small steps than trivially jumps. This attempt for me is like a trip. I prefer to make the “trip” with a slow train looking “out of the window” , more than ride a fast car and reach the end some days earlier. A Greek poem describes it better. Whoever want to read it (in English ) can find it here
    http://www.cavafy.com/poems/content.asp?cat=1&id=74
    Thanks for your time
    The creative adult, is the child who survived

Quote Originally Posted by ba99297 View Post
    In my country we use to say that “sciolism is worst than ignorance”.
    "Sciolism" that's got to be word of the Day Vagelis. (I had to look it up) . . . . In my part of the country it would be called " Talking Bullshit " and yes lots of Sciolism goes on in Forums. .

Dean you know more than anyone that my English are not good
    Often i use Google translation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sciolism.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	17536
    Even (as other say) i use the Greek language very good, i cant say the same about English
    So i have no tension to show that i know and use rare words, i just try to find the appropriate word and the only "friend" here is Google. For me was the first time I saw this word (sciolism)
    To be more specific the word in Greece is "ημιμάθεια" that come from the words "ημι"=half + "μάθηση"=knowledge, so you could say that "ημιμάθεια"=half knowledge of a subject, and we use that word for people who don’t have a full knowledge of a subject, they know only some aspects of the subject and in the same time they talk as they know everything about it.. Other Greeks that follows the thread I think they know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ba99297 View Post
    [FONT="]Dean you know more than anyone that my English are not good
    Vagelis your English my friend is better than mine and I know Zero Greek so your way in front.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Vagelis your English my friend is better than mine and I know Zero Greek so your way in front.!!
    Google gives me two words
    #1 Humble
    #2 Modest
    both words with the first letter capital
    You choose which one I should use to characterize you
    Lets change «channel». For a moment I thought that we are in a literary forum…

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information