1. Hi guys does anyone have an easy to understand wiring diagram for one of these chinese spindles and vfd, its a 2.2hp, I don't wanna mess it up.
    Thanks for you help guys.

  2. Quote Originally Posted by Tomnewry View Post
    Hi guys does anyone have an easy to understand wiring diagram for one of these chinese spindles and vfd, its a 2.2hp, I don't wanna mess it up.
    Thanks for you help guys.
    What exactly do you want to know Tom.? How to simply connect it up or how to wire for CNC control IE: Start/stop thru control software outputs.?

  3. Hi Jazz
    Thanks for your reply, at the minute all I need is to get the spindle up an running I can worry about setting it up in mach later if need be I dont mind have to switch it on an of myself for the time being.
    Thanks

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Tomnewry View Post
    Hi Jazz
    Thanks for your reply, at the minute all I need is to get the spindle up an running I can worry about setting it up in mach later if need be I dont mind have to switch it on an of myself for the time being.
    Thanks
    Here you go Tom.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tom.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	10425

    When connecting U V W wires to Spindle connector there probably won't be any notable pin order so just connect to each wire to a pin and if the spindle runs in reverse swap any 2 wires at VFD. This is quite normal and doesn't cause any harm.

    I've added the wiring connections for start/Stop has it's very simple and useful being controlled thru G-code. You can walk away and know spindle will stop at same time cutting does or if E-stop occurs.
    This uses the Relay on the BOB if your BOB has one. If BOB doesn't have relays then you can use an External Relay switched from an Output pin on BOB provided it has Coil currant lower than your BOB outputs. Bob manual should tell you this.

    For this to work VFD parameters will need setting to inform run/stop commands are coming from an external source. Your VFD manual will show the Parameters for this.
    Then you'll need to set spindle settings in your Control software to switch the chosen output pin. This will then turn on/off when it sees M3/M5 in G-code so turning spindle On/off.

    Has you can I'm not giving specifics on this because I'm not sure what Control software your using but if using Mach3 and can't work it out then just ask and I'll explain.

  5. Dean, I know you know what you're on about and I know Tom asked for a simple diagram but in addition to your diagram I would personally program one of the digital inputs as a STOP/RUN signal. For me this is standard procedure such that you have to select both RUN and FWD to get output. While it's not used in this application it makes more sense when you want to change direction.
    Also Tom you say you don't mind switching it on and off yourself for the time being, I'm not 100% how you intend to do this but there is a big implication. If you use the control inputs to stop/start as in the diagram above then the spindle will ramp up and down so that the motor is not strained on startup and the VFD will bring it to a stop quickly, however if you switch power on/off to the the inverter starting should not be affected but switching it off means the spindle will coast to a stop taking much longer because the VFD has no control and will not be braking it.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    however if you switch power on/off to the the inverter starting should not be affected but switching it off means the spindle will coast to a stop taking much longer because the VFD has no control and will not be braking it.
    Never switch the power off to a VFD whilst it's running as that's a great way to damage it.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Dean, I know you know what you're on about and I know Tom asked for a simple diagram but in addition to your diagram I would personally program one of the digital inputs as a STOP/RUN signal. For me this is standard procedure such that you have to select both RUN and FWD to get output. While it's not used in this application it makes more sense when you want to change direction.
    Tom wanted it simple and that's what I gave him.

    Agree that if wanting to change direction then having some way to select direction, whether that be thru outputs or selectable switch is a Good idea but Because he's using the 2.2Kw spindle with a Minimum usable RPM of 5000Rpm then I very much doubt he will want to change direction so why bother complicating things.!!. . . . The only way it can run is FORWARD and the relay acts has a RUN switch. . .Simple.!

    Now there is a case for routing RUN signal thru limit system so Spindle is hard-wired to stop rather than relying on Software stopping if limit is Tripped.
    In case of E-stop then really you wouldn't have RUN signal tied to this because safe E-Stop should Kill power To VFD and everything else on machine.

    So if I changed my drawing at all it would be to show Input lines going thru Limit system but that's about it.

    BUT KISS will work fine here I'm sure.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    In case of E-stop then really you wouldn't have RUN signal tied to this because safe E-Stop should Kill power To VFD and everything else on machine.
    I've come across this several times and it's why I mentioned it above, the last time was with a 120kw inverter driving a steel beam straightening machine and due to the HSE requirement of stopping the machine within 10 seconds ( I think that time is right) it was best to allow the drive to ramp it down. If it had been left to coast down it would have taken ages to stop and a physical brake was not an option.
    Using the on board output relay of the drive to detect 'motor stop' the power supply was then removed from the inverter as you say.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I've come across this several times and it's why I mentioned it above, the last time was with a 120kw inverter driving a steel beam straightening machine and due to the HSE requirement of stopping the machine within 10 seconds ( I think that time is right) it was best to allow the drive to ramp it down. If it had been left to coast down it would have taken ages to stop and a physical brake was not an option.
    Using the on board output relay of the drive to detect 'motor stop' the power supply was then removed from the inverter as you say.
    Ermm how does that make it safe.? What happens if the Drive fails what stops the machine then.? But in all honesty these examples are so far removed from each other that it's not worth the effort going any further on this.

    Tom's got what he asked for and it's safe enough for his needs. If it's not connected to Reverse then can't go backwards so switch not required simplizzzz.

    Regards coasting then again not often a problem with these small spindles and taking DC braking to far without Brake resistor can lead to Trips etc so often having longer ramp down is advised, esp for those who are not used to DC braking and the Complexity's of Setting VFD's correctly.

  10. Hi Jazz thanks for the diagram it will be a great help, also on the other notes I do plan to run the spindle through mach 3 I just want this to get me up and running at the minute I will be the only one using it. Thanks again Jazz

Similar Threads

  1. Wiring diagram for 4x4 cnc router
    By Danielroyal25 in forum Resources & Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-07-2013, 10:14 PM
  2. cnc wiring
    By crossleymarko in forum General Machine Building
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
  3. NEW MEMBER: Hi, Looking for a wiring diagram, Melbourne
    By Sampop in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-10-2010, 10:18 AM
  4. Wiring diagram for boxford cnc lathe 125TCL?
    By Sampop in forum Lathes & Operation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-10-2010, 04:20 AM
  5. Hardinge hc chucker wiring diagram
    By hrdg4me in forum General Electronics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •