. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    these DM856s all struggle with low frequency pulses / single pulse operation.
    Just use microstepping to increase the frequency. You'll loose incremental torque, but that most likely doesn't make any difference as you're only interested in the coarser steps.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I think the issue here is that the motor doesn't want to remain in-between steps and falls back into the 'true' full step, which is why it doesn't move at all and jumps two micro-steps at a time. I need this to move a step / microstep and remain in that position for a long time, including down-time when not powered up, I simply cannot have it miss steps or jump steps.

Regards,
    dsc.

3. Then you can only use full steps. All forms of microstepping need power applied to hold position.

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Yes, I've just realised this. What's the normal work around if you need microstepping? 'Zeroing' on every power up?

Regards,
    dsc.

5. Well, re-homing certainly.

Since you're already using a PIC, it would be easy enough to add an encoder to the motor and use it to keep track of the position.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Well I could use an encoder, although I'd need an absolute one to know where the motor sits after power cycling the thing.

Regards,
    dsc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Just use microstepping to increase the frequency. You'll loose incremental torque, but that most likely doesn't make any difference as you're only interested in the coarser steps.
    Kudos again to Jonathan, I'm using 1/4 microstepping and sending four pulses to move a step. Works like a treat, no jumping, glitching, random movements.

Regards,
    dsc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information