. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have for sale some carbon fibre sheet 500x400 thickness 2mm. It is a high gloss finish and real pure 3k carbon all the way through, no GRP/fibreglass used. Comes with protective film and packed well.

Price 65 pounds delivered.

I can get other thicknesses and more sheets if required.

Hi Is the sheet pre preg both sides shiny if yes then i am interested.

Thanks

Peter

Both sides are the same high gloss.

Sold. Thanks for the interest.

Is it easy to cut ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

I cut most of mine with a jigsaw and then tidy it up with a diamond file. Its very abrasive so blades dont last long and have to watch for CF strands getting sucked in to the motor. Best to get it cut with a waterjet but not many people have a 5 axis flowjet

7. The Following User Says Thank You to r0bsk1 For This Useful Post:

What price for 3 mm and 1.5 mm that size.
    you say carbon throughout are the unner layers woven or unidirectional, at that price it sounds like woven a it pricey for unidirectional internal content carbon.
    kendrick

Eddy not so sure water jet is such a good idea I was going to cut my carbon in a water bath until I said this to the people that manufactured the carbon for me, they warned me against that as water can get into the carbon through the edges thus lowering the strength of the carbon.
    they cut with a Cnc and an industrial dust extraction system, I will be doing similar but with the Cnc in an enclosure with a vacuum cleaner for the dust extraction.
    kendrick

Most people I know who cut their own multicopter/drone frames or helicopter frames from carbon do so with abrasive/rasp/diamond coated type cutters and do so in water baths, I've never heard of them having frame failures because of water absorbtion when cutting the frames. If you're worried about water ingress down the fibres then why not dry out the cut carbon in a warm place overnight (the wife's airing cupboard) before using it as a precaution?

If you look at Haydn's channel you'll see the things he makes on his CNC router.
    Last edited by njhussey; 26-02-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Ah I see.
    the idea of a water bath was literally that, a tray filled with water the carbon would be submerged in the water for while cutting then the water drained off and the carbon removed, dried and cleaned. My comments were from the manufacturer who comes from an arospace background so a small loss of strength is a big thing for them.
    i see on the video that his water bath is not so much a waterbath as a cutting in a water jet with the outflow of water being collected in the bath and then drained into a large water container in this case a fish tank it looks like he has a small tank ata he'd to the spindle and the water is fed to the cutter by gravity I may be wrong on that.
    I have a fealing that modifying the waterbath to be similar to haydn's might just work.
    kendrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information