. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ....If all else fails read the book.

page 62 of 157

'mach3 is not able to fully honour the axis acceleration parameters when compensating for backlash so stepper systems will generally have to be detuned to avoid the risk of loosing steps'

Later

Hi there,

You're right, reverse engineering is acceptable method.. but only on basis of accurate measurements. Now you've described your calibration setup then I've got no issues as regards your positioning/backlash results.

However, as I mentioned and manual confirms backlash compensations not the way to go really... don't know what your planning to make but I would try and devise a mechanical method of getting the backlash out.. there should be a few mechanical solutions up at cnc zone.. would make your life a lot easier in the long run

what length is the axis screw... have you thought of replacing it with an industry part of ebay or the like... smaller lengths are usually pretty cheap...

This is precisely the sort of thing I like to see - having this kind of information available helps me out loads. I'm sure I'll be having this kind of problem myself one day and having seasoned veterans around makes it a less lonely and frustrating experience! :D

Keep it up.

Charlie

A bit of follow up

The machine is running sweet with backlash compensation switched off. A job came in this week that required a bit more accuracy so i put it back and run a bit slow. For me and my work this is acceptable.

This is too easy :lol:

lo, glad it worked out for you David !
    .Me

I used to have a toroidal and home made stepper drivers right up to the moment when the mains voltage surge hit and all 3 axes suddenly failed the smoke test. It was like the bridge of the starship Enterprise when the Klingon disruptor hits the shields, I had a sudden urge to hurl myself from side to side :D

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt
    I used to have a toroidal and home made stepper drivers right up to the moment when the mains voltage surge hit and all 3 axes suddenly failed the smoke test. It was like the bridge of the starship Enterprise when the Klingon disruptor hits the shields, I had a sudden urge to hurl myself from side to side :D
    lol !
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Jeeeez, I dread the thought, just embarking on my own home brew psu with retail drivers and opto board. I reckon my instinct would have been a head banging movement rather than a side to side.

Any suggestions to protect my earlobes :heehee:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information