. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In the 3D printing world there is software such as slic3r which produces GCode from a suitable 3D drawing of the part to be manufactured.

Is there any equivalent software that creates GCode for a lathe from a drawing (I haven't been able to find any).

Thanks,

...R

Quote Originally Posted by Robin2 View Post
    In the 3D printing world there is software such as slic3r which produces GCode from a suitable 3D drawing of the part to be manufactured.

Is there any equivalent software that creates GCode for a lathe from a drawing (I haven't been able to find any).

Thanks,

...R
    If you search for CAM programs like BobCam etc. you will find what you need. ..Clive

CamBam CNC Software

40 session trial and then will still work for small files - biased towards milling but I've used it for lathe work

Thanks. I should have said that I'm looking for software that will run on Linux, not Windows or Mac.

...R

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You'll be struggling to get something that runs on linux.
    Lathe CAM doesn't have that many options, let alone ones that will run on linux.

I think CamBam has a linux option, although it's lathe capabilites are pretty limited (lathe only got added within the last couple releases).
    The usual options are Lazyturn (it's free - there's a forum on the Machsupport forum) which is fairly limited and not being actively developed (it was written by Art but there wasn't really the demand for it), or Dolphin CADCAM, which is a lot more comprehensive but costs more.
    I'm not sure how Bobcam compares.

Thanks. I should have said that I'm looking for software that will run on Linux, not Windows or Mac.

...R
    We are not making porridge for one
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    We are not making porridge for one
    I don't understand?

...R

Looks like there is no alternative to DIY.

Over a couple of hours this afternoon I have put together a short JRuby program that will produce GCode from an array of Z,X values that represent the profile (or half cross-section) of the finished piece.

If anyone wants a copy of my code (which is very basic) let me know. (No charge ! )

...R

I don't understand? ...R
    Old joke: A Scotsman goes to heaven and is asked if there is anything he would particularly like?

Is that because he was only Scotsman in heaven?

Or had it something to do with one of my posts?

...R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information