. .
    Hi everyone,

I am making a starter machine and have designed it in Solidworks. I require the parts machined from 18mm mdf. Please send your best quotes for the job.
    Most parts will also need to be turned on the sides to drill a few holes.

Below I have submitted a few a pdf and dxf file but dind't include hole sizes. If need be pm me with your email address I can send you the Solidworks files.

Machine-Parts.DXF

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machine-Parts.PDF  
    Last edited by mZeles; 21-10-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I find that the picture is very hard to see. It might be better if you can upload a DXF file of it so that others can see what sizes it is etc. ..Clive

I have attached a pdf and dxf file.

MDF and unsupported rails. This isn't going to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    MDF and unsupported rails. This isn't going to end well.
    Been there said that, made an offer, feel on deaf ears, end of story...

They will be supported by SHF16 rail support bolted with m5 bolts ant each end. Plus I am not intending only plastic wood and light metals such as aluminium and copper.

Quote Originally Posted by mZeles View Post
    They will be supported by SHF16 rail support bolted with m5 bolts ant each end. Plus I am not intending only plastic wood and light metals such as aluminium and copper.
    Supporting the ends affects how much they deflect in the middle a bit, but supporting them in the middle helps a lot more! In addition, it doesn't matter how well you support them to a weak (MDF) structure, they will still be weak as the rest of the structure will bend.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

If you must use MDF then I would suggest something thicker than 18mm, something like 25mm birch plywood would be better I think. I can see the attraction that wood is easier to work with and I must say I looked at that myself, and if you look on Youtube for example, there are wooden machines that appear to be work quite well. The first thing that strikes me is that you want these parts cut out by cnc but it seems to me they could be cut out with a bandsaw and drilled with a bench drill. It leads me to believe therefore that you have no workshop facilities because if you did aluminium is easily cut on a decent bandsaw and easily drilled on a bench drill so why not go for that instead ?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

I wanted to use MDF as my first machine so that I can learn about the design and once I am not a newbie then I could use the knowledge gained from the this MDF machine to build a more permanent machine. Thus I am not intending on spending a lot as the machine will just be temporary.

And yes I have no workshop facilities I did try using hand tools but my accuracy was not good which caused alignment issues when trying to assemble the parts.

PS how do you support the rails at middle ?
    Last edited by mZeles; 25-10-2013 at 01:13 PM.

I wanted to use MDF as my first machine so that I can learn about the design and once I am not a newbie then I could use the knowledge gained from the this MDF machine to build a more permanent machine. Thus I am not intending on spending a lot as the machine will just be temporary.
    Biggest thing you'll learn from this route is how to waste money.!! . . . . . My advise is read every build thread and soak up information and while doing this save up your money and build from correct materials and components from the start.
    By the time you have the money together you should have a very good idea of what's required to build a good machine.
    The fact you have no workshop facilities makes things harder but not impossible just more expensive.

PS how do you support the rails at middle ?
    Use Supported rails which are supported across there full length unlike the unsupported type like your intending which are only supported at each end.!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information