. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    The term "Mission creep" springs to mind.

Edit: Jim your original 'rough diagram' did not do your machine justice, it's quite a bit better than that.
    There is always mission creep...... :) though in my experience with IT projects the term "mission creep" is usually applied when the requirement gathering/scoping stage has not been fully completed!

Looking back I guess my diagram is a bit lame!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok well Agree most of this is motor tuning and like Jonathan suggest you balance the tuning up.!! . . . But looking at the frame it has some serious issues.?

Following on from above statement regards serious issues then I wouldn't suggest you do because there are other problems that will make any attempt pointless without addressing these problems also has they are quite big ones.

The Gantry and the way it fastens to the bearings is a major weakness. It's only mounted to the X axis bearings with 2 bolts per bearings plus the mounting plate area is woe fully inadequate. Also the fastening of the Y axis rails into the puny narrow gantry ends is very weak and the whole thing must flex quite badly and could be some of the problem on direction changes with deep Cuts.

Like said before given the parts you have already and spending a few hundred quid building a new frame will be far far better solution that will give a very good machine that will do every thing you want and to good standard for years, and still be worth more money than you invested when time to sell.!!
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't done any kind of proper measuring but if I try and flex the machine at the gantry ends I can see no obvious movement. If I do the same with the spindle, it doesn't take much force before noticable flexing occurs from the 2 unsupported rails.

Must admit I have been browsing the build logs and I can see that I would have a far better machine with a stronger frame.

So I think I have a plan....

I will follow Jazz's advice of starting from scratch - The build logs really are inspirational and I would love solid machine that I can handle all that I throw at it.

BUT

I still investigate a method to stiffen my existing machine as best I can with as little time/effort as possible!

My above plan may seem at odds but I know that starting from scratch will take me alot of time and effort to do right. I think I will not reuse any of my existing machine so I can sell it later on. I will continue to use my machine (it really does work well for the small stuff I am doing) while designing the new one and hopefully some time next year I can start building it!

Off to the build logs to learn....

Quote Originally Posted by cncJim View Post
    I think I will not reuse any of my existing machine so I can sell it later on. I will continue to use my machine (it really does work well for the small stuff I am doing) while designing the new one and hopefully some time next year I can start building it!
    Wise choice and one you won't regret.!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information