. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi

New here. Be gentle.

I run two ExelCnc machines - both 1100X600. The oldest one is about three years old now and the second about two years. So I've just started to understand G-Code a little bit.

Each machine had a couple of very minor issues in the early days and Mark at Exel worked patiently and intelligently with me to solve them. The next best thing to getting everything right all the time is putting everything right when it needs to be. So they score for service as well.

I primarily use them working with hardwoods and while they don't work all day every day, they work all day most days and do it without missing a beat. I initially specified Elte type spindles but converted both machines last year to mounting three Kress spindles so that I can cut three identical components at the same time. The machines handle this perfectly and , for wood, I wouldn't bother with the more expensive and fussier spindle.

I have used them to cut Ally but it requires a great deal of patience.

I would buy another ExelCnc machine in a heartbeat. They are well built using good quality components with real engineering. (Although I'm actually building my next one myself - for the fun of it)

I'm in Woking so its a good stretch of the legs from Brighton but if you want to come and see them in action let me know.

(not a shill - just a happy customer)

After 3 years working most days I would be very disappointed if I wasn't red hot on G-Code

Lives in Tampere, Finland. Last Activity: 28-08-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 12.
    I've spent last seven years doing Windows and Linux programming, and I'm not a bit shamed that I don't know PC assembler. I'm sure Ian is very proficient on whatever CAD and CAM program he is using.

It's not a criticism I'm just saying how I would be, Ian must be 'top down' whereas I'm 'bottom up' (not sure I like the sound of that). I was contemplating an ExelCnc machine myself until I decided to self build.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 23-10-2013 at 10:03 PM.

I was being just a tiny bit ironic but only a bit.

These machines are a tool of my business and , like all the other programming I do, I have learned just as much as I need to get done what I need to get done. Every now and then I need to do something new and then I learn how to do it.

Basically most of my programs are repeated thousand of times so I know enough Gcode to take the co-ordinates that Vcarve produces and turn them into parameterised routines so that I can easily adjust feed speeds cutting depths etc.

Hi Ian,

I'm just down the road (ish) in Crowthorne. Those ExcelCNC machines look very nice indeed would love to be able to own one but as CNC is a hobby for me (real job is in IT) that doesn't seem likely!

How do you find working with VCarve? I really like the look of it, I tried the demo version and I seemed to be able to do everything I want to do and more, but again the price is a bit high for a hobby (£400?).

Is VCarve the only software you use?

Cheers,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarley View Post
    I was being just a tiny bit ironic but only a bit.

Basically most of my programs are repeated thousand of times so I know enough Gcode to take the co-ordinates that Vcarve produces and turn them into parameterised routines so that I can easily adjust feed speeds cutting depths etc.
    If you know how to create parametric G-code then your being a bit more than Tiny Iroinic Ian.!!! . . . Most on here wouldn't know how or were to start with Parametric G-code.! . . . 9/10 if you learnt your self this.

Regards the Excel Machine I started making machine for friends and friends of friends good while before they did which purely coincidently is very very similar(Mines better thou.) and I nearly fell over when I spotted there machine at a show.!! . . . After thoroughly interrogating the poor Father of the Lad who started Excel I realised no industrial Spying had taken place so halted the Execution.

Obviously I knew the design was sound for the purpose it was being sold, mainly wood and plastics, but was impressed with the helpful open nature of the guys.
    Was also impressed with finish of machine and good quality of components but Wasn't so impressed at the time with the mis-matched electronics.? . . . . May have changed now.? . . . But at that time it Used Good quality Gecko G540 combo drive but with 4.2A motors and seen the G540 only puts out 3.5A the machine wasn't getting the best from motors. Also running G540 with motors higher than 3.5A loses current reduction function and don't think they knew about using a resistor to trick G540.?

Other than that and the fact they where trying to charge £800 for 2.2Kw Chinese spindle/Vfd setup which cost £300 the rest was spot on and quite nice bloke.!

Ian,
    You mentioned you do other programming, I can see how using variables in G code will seem natural to you and I'm expecting the same myself, I used to write a lot of C code for PC's in the 80's using an Amstrad 1512 then later an IBM PC clone, I also guessed you might be doing repetitive work and hence not playing with the code much.

had a look at the exel machines myself and got a couple of quotes, what put me off was the price and the cost of all the addons and 'extras' glad to hear you are happy with them though.
    Im still researching lol.

Quote Originally Posted by alboy View Post
    had a look at the exel machines myself and got a couple of quotes, what put me off was the price and the cost of all the addons and 'extras' glad to hear you are happy with them though.
    Im still researching lol.
    That's why I went for the self build, though it does create an 'outage' on your life for a while, the trouble is the older you get the more you are running out of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information