. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2build1 View Post
    Whilst were on the subject of spindles ... I keep forgetting, I have a Freud 2.2kw router 1/2" collet with speed control, that I haven't used for years ! ... what are the advantages of a water cooled spindle, over using a big router ?
    Depends what your cutting.? If just cutting wood profiles etc then power wise probably not much. If doing detailed work or cutting hard materials or jobs taking many hours like 3D work then they have few big advantages.
    First run-out of the spindle is much less, second the bearings and general spindle body are much stronger so handle high cutting forces better. Because they are WC they have No duty cycle to speak of so can run for days without stopping, routers will fry if you try to run them for hours without stopping. Even industrial routers don't like running for 20+ hrs non stop where has WC will happily do 20hrs without getting more than warm.

Not so big deal but they are also very quite compared to a router.

hmmm... I think I might use the router at 1st ... spindle later :) I had completely forgot I had it !
    Also, you say quiet ... surely the cutting is the noisiest bit ?

So ... next ... rails and bearings ... I don't want unsupported. Round is much cheaper than hiwin type.. Anything wrong with supported round rails and bearings ?

Recommended suppliers ?

You can never get away from the cutting noise, whatever you use (unless you design an enclosure), but a spindle will still be quieter overall as noise from the motor is so much lower. I used to have a Bosch 900 Watt router but switching to a WC spindle made the workshop so much quieter.

Another advantage of a spindle over some routers (the plunge type with the handles out the sides) is the ease of mounting and stiffness of the connection to the Z axis.

If you ever take the plunge (!) and switch to a spindle I promise you will never look back.

I think you can make a very capable machine with supported rail, so don't worry too much about that. I would however recommend looking at used profile rail for the Z axis (£80 = 300mm pair from FA Systems on ebay for example).
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Noise, or rather lack of it. Reliability because they have no brushes or comutators to wear out
    John S -

Whilst were on the subject of spindles ... I keep forgetting, I have a Freud 2.2kw router 1/2" collet with speed control, that I haven't used for years ! ... what are the advantages of a water cooled spindle, over using a big router ?
    Rigidity - most likely bigger bearings so the stiffness is higher.

Also, you say quiet ... surely the cutting is the noisiest bit ?
    I get asked this all the time and yes obviously the cutting creates noise but it's only a proportion of the total noise and the WC spindle is whisper quite in comparison to any router so the total noise is much less.!! . . . .Put it this way I can stand next to my machine when it's cutting aluminium and still have conversation on the phone without shouting.!!. . . Try that with any router even when not cutting.!

Honestly no hand held router, even industrial can match these spindles in any department.!

ok... I agree that a spindle is better than a router.
    Having said that ... a spindle is an easy upgrade.
    Now I've remembered my big router, I think I'll use that initially and upgrade to a spindle later.
    So ... next ... linear rails guidways bearings ...
    I'm again looking for a budget option, but one I wont regret :)
    I think Ideally I would like to be unconventional and build an 8x4 capable machine, with the gantry being 8'
    I think, in a limited sized workshop, this would give the easiest loading of the 8x4 sheets... especially the silly heavy 18mm MrMDF !

BST automation on aliexpress / Fred/ is not an unknown supplier. I bought from him before a month all ball screws and Hiwin rails and carriages. Everything was machined to 0.01 tolerances and fit perfectly. All rails,carriages,ball screws, nuts and supports cost me what here would cost me only the carriages. Split your purchace when paying and avoid customs stating the half amount only. No problem from their side.

Dont start your build until you have all the before mentioned including spindle mount, as many times they will send you whatever they have at hand, meaning the ball screw housing and spindle mount different from the pictures.
    Yesterday had to redraw my build entirely, due to this. A small price to pay.

Spindle is not same as router. I would like to see somebody cutting soft plastic and aluminum with router, the way that can be cut with spindle. No doubt for me there. There are other benefits like trip when problem, speed control directly from CAD/CAM and so on, worth the money. 2 mistakes on a expensive material that could be avoided by the spindle PC communication will pay you the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    Dont start your build until you have all the before mentioned including spindle mount, as many times they will send you whatever they have at hand,
    ??? should I be concerned at this ??? !!!

??? should I be concerned at this ??? !!!
    Dont know, you decide. Finished my drawing in Sketchup and ordered everything. As i have some laser cut pieces i decided not to order them until i have all here to measure.

While all the ballscrews were machined to 0.01 and fit perfectly in the supports, they send me ball nut housings which they had at hand, so had to redraw a whole day. That affected the Z width also and the Z distance from gantry, so had to redraw there too. Also the spindle bracket i bought is quite bigger than at the ebay listings picture and wider by 20mm, so i could have bought 1 only, not 2, and if my Z was ready it would not fit, because of the fixing holes situation.

I mean, make the bead structure, but careful after that until you have the main parts at hand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information