. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thank you bikepete. I had not taken into account the vibration and resonance of machine tools while machining. I anticipated slow and steady work but I am not lying to myself thinking it would be completely avoided. I have not accounted for that type of vibration/res. How would I go about that? (I may come across it in the pdf's that were posted earlier) I have not yet read them.

As far as leveling: it was not epoxy leveling that I was thinking about more of a setup the linear rails I purchased and perform the operation myself at my home. It would be tedious but I believe it would be possible to do. Is epoxy leveling a better idea than machining the surfaces myself at home? I will have to look up the steps involved for that to be able to decide. Thank you for providing the option/idea.

Welding: I am unaware about stress relief to account for warping over time. I will look up that information to become more familiar with it. Thank you for pointing that out.

I will also check out that ebayer... I believe I may have run across his items a few times. lol, I have been searching everywhere!!

JazzCNC. Thank you for visiting my post. Im glad you can relate as a DIYer. I know the tolerances are ambitious and while they may be unattainable I would like to try. What are tolerances of professional made CNC machines? I believe they have much closer tolerances to .001" If I end up on the higher end of lets say .008-9 I would consider it a success. If I have a .01" tolerance I would still be happy. I just believe that there is a market where I can draw income from with a machine with these capabilities. I do not intend to manufacture items for industry with this initial build but more of a build whatever comes to mind and make a small profit if possible. If I can use the machine to perform operations for some folks I would but I would explain the capabilities of my machine before taking on any work.
    Leasing a VMC sounds plausible but I do not want/need the pressure of having to take on jobs to finance the machine at this time. It may turn into that but at this moment it is something I would rather avoid. Thank you for the suggestion, I will keep it in mind. Thank you guys kindly for responding to my post. You are making this endeavor a very good learning experience for me. Things that are being brought up are paramount to the success of the build. I will continue searching and reading and hopefully make some good progress when the time comes to put all this together.
    Last edited by oldmam4m80s; 03-11-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: fix typ'o, clarification

Thread Information