. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi guys,

Bit off topic with this one maybe but im looking for someone who has a very open mind that can design me an access ramp. Sound easy...?

Here is the snag!

The ramp is to be designed for access into a swimming pool for dogs!

Anyone interested in this project that has good skills with solidworks or any high end software give me a shout.

Would think It's a lift or a hoist you need not a ramp has even with Anti slip material would think they could slip on a ramp. It would need a long ramp to be safe.
    Crane with lowering platform would work good IMO. (Like the platforms RAF hang under helicopters.!!)

I agree Jazz but my customer needs a ramp to comply with regulations of a hydrotherapy pool.

What I was thinking is something similar to pool steps. Nice chrome framework with stainless floor an ramp. With the same anti slip material on pool steps.

The ramp would have to start from one corner, go the width of the pool and then to the centre of the pool along the side. All on a general slope to aid stress of a disabled dog.

If it needs to be a ramp to comply with regulations then there may already be something laid down governing it's design, manufacture & installation. A wheelchair ramp has a minimum 1 in 12 slope so there may be some figure covering this. Does it need to be wide enough for just the animal or a handler as well? Is there a minimum weight loading of any kind.
    Once you have designed it is there anyone who you can run it by to make sure it is suitable before you go to the expense of manufacturing & installing it.

Thanks Martin.

All that it says (according to the customer) is that there is to be a ramp in place incase the canine panics. Or for the canine to be able to exit the pool unaided.

Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    Thanks Martin.

All that it says (according to the customer) is that there is to be a ramp in place incase the canine panics. Or for the canine to be able to exit the pool unaided.

So does that mean that it would need a ramp leading up to the pool & then another ramp leading down into the pool? What shape is the pool, guessing it will be either square or rectangular.

Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    Thanks Martin.

Hi D-man,
    If the ramp is only for the canine does this mean that it doesn't have to decend to the base of the pool, only to a depth of max doggy leg depth when swimming or are you talking about a ramp that has a slope of pool depth/w+0.5l. I'm not sure how a ramp like that would work as there would only be a short section that the dog could exit, relative to the perimeter. Also not sure how well that suits a panicking doggy. I would have thought a short ramp actually sloping from the edge towards the center of the pool would be a better bet.
    Send me a PM if you want, I have an Engineering and Manufacturing backround and I'm pretty handy with Solidworks so I could either generate some sketches for you to help mull over different options and concepts or if you want to take it further I would draw up a set of working drawings.
    Interesting one...
    Noel.

Nice little sum for the person who could help me with this.

Sorry Martin, width is that of a canine not a human. I know regulations state for health and safety reasons for a human is 1mtr however. The human enters the pool via steps adjacent to the ramp.
    Last edited by D-man; 03-11-2013 at 12:56 AM.

No the pool is a deck level pool. So it nobly requires the ramp inside the pool.

The pool is square. I will post some pictures when I get to a PC

Don't bother with a ramp, just throw a fooking biscuit in the pool.

Works every time.
    John S -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information