Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Reading, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 170. Received thanks 15 times, giving thanks to others 32 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
    Touch the tool off at the required Dia that you can measure on the part ---- and program machine to cut to the Face -no trig needed but approach move should include room for the tip -very common practice on combo tools
    Thanks for the advice Ulsterman, but in this case I really am after the trig as I am coding an application to produce g-code.

Lives in Reading, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 170. Received thanks 15 times, giving thanks to others 32 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    V-cutters are generally specified by the included angle, i.e. the angle at the tip. In that case the formula is: ......
    Thank you Jonathan, that is excellent information, just what I need! Will take me a little time to fully digest but will be worth it.

I didn't consider the flat spot at all. Wouldn't have been a disaster, but wouldn't have been correct either!
    I asume if I use an insert v bit (such as CNC V Groove Miter Fold & Signmaking Insert Router Bit by Amana Tool) then I could just use Z=d/(2*tan(a/2)) as there would be no flat spot?

The radiused tip/ballnose cutter was also a great thought. I was only considering supporting v cutters but I think you have changed my mind.

Thanks!

(haven't seen "LetMeGoogleThatForYou" before! Almost spat coffee on my keyboard when I clicked it!)
    Last edited by cncJim; 06-11-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cncJim View Post
    I didn't consider the flat spot at all. Wouldn't have been a disaster, but wouldn't have been correct either!
    I asume if I use an insert v bit (such as CNC V Groove Miter Fold & Signmaking Insert Router Bit by Amana Tool) then I could just use Z=d/(2*tan(a/2)) as there would be no flat spot?
    There's always going to be a flat of some sort, but for the tool you linked to I expect it would be neglegible. You might as well use the formula with the flat in your program, and just set f to 0 if the flat is insignificant as that results in the same formula as for without a flat.

If you've got the tool to hand, then one way to measure the flat is to spin it round and move the Z-axis down until it just touches. Retract the Z-axis and measure the diameter of the circle left - that's your f.

Quote Originally Posted by cncJim View Post
    (haven't seen "LetMeGoogleThatForYou" before! Almost spat coffee on my keyboard when I clicked it!)
    It's temping to link people to that quite often

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There's always going to be a flat of some sort, but for the tool you linked to I expect it would be neglegible. You might as well use the formula with the flat in your program, and just set f to 0 if the flat is insignificant as that results in the same formula as for without a flat.:
    Thats exactly what I will do, thanks again Jonathan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12