Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Hi i would like to make a grey scale image so i can carve it in a program like photo vcarve. The images i have been looking at are like these

    I think its called a relief carving?

    I would like to create a relief carving of this

    But i dont know how to create a greyscale image of it so i can use it.

    Any suggestion on how i could create a carving or is this not possible?

    Thanks simon.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    I have tried it this way by just changing the picture to grey scale but the picture needs to be like a height map, so white being the high point down to black being the lowest, so anywhere in between will be varing shades of grey, i will give it a try when i get to my computer, thankyou.

  4. #4
    Sorry I didn't realise that, the task is now more demanding.
    After a quick search it seems the technique is widely used for geographic purposes, generating 3D terrain etc. and the software mentioned includes Wilbur and Terragen.
    Other methods include hand editing the gray scale colours in software such as Photoshop or the free alternative GIMP as mentioned in my first post.
    Then there's this
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 08-11-2013 at 06:09 PM.

  5. #5
    Thats okay i thought it would be, my search shall continue.

  6. #6
    Your using terms like height map which suggest you have looked at CamBam. You can do what you want straight out the box with that software without changing to grey scale.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

  7. #7 eddy said.
    Last edited by deisel; 09-08-2014 at 04:42 PM.

  8. #8
    totts, did you get any further with this ? I now have the same requirement, doing it on the cheap being one of them.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 09-08-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  9. #9
    No unfortunately not, either running out of program trials or trying to find how to use the software, it was very hard work, not helped by the low resolution of the image.

    If you come across a way of converting an image please do share as i would still like to make this.

  10. #10
    I think meshcam does this, meshcam art. Not sure but think so

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-01-2014, 09:48 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-07-2013, 12:42 PM
  4. WANTED: Wanted Linear Scale/Encoder
    By gavztheouch in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-01-2013, 05:32 PM
  5. Ebay 3040 issue with mach3 - incorrect scale when machining?
    By Wayne Kinney in forum Artsoft Mach
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts