. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    does anyone know if it's best to order

lots at once ? big fees

or lots of little orders ? bigger post fees ?

???

Quote Originally Posted by Want2build1 View Post
    does anyone know if it's best to order

lots at once ? big fees

or lots of little orders ? bigger post fees ?

???
    Since you have to assume that the sellers specify the correct value on the customs form, and asking otherwise would be illegal, then unless you can split the order into parts less than the £18 threshold to get charged VAT by HMRC, it's better to order once else you'll pay multiple £10.50 handling charges. Splitting seems unlikely to result in packages worth less than £18 if you're ordering ballscrews, linear bearings and the like.

Thanks Johnathan
    I didn't know the threshold was only £18
    Last edited by Want2build1; 18-11-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: sp

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 7 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Just remembered I came across a box with a Parcel Force customs sticker, and they charged £13.50

Thanks Johnathan
    I didn't know the threshold was only £18
    Just checked and they've changed it again - it's now only £15:

HM Revenue & Customs

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Just remembered I came across a box with a Parcel Force customs sticker, and they charged £13.50
    Those handling fees are annoying. I had one recently from fedex where the VAT was about £3, with £10.50 'advancement fee' added.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

well it arrived today... which I am impressed with :) ...

no customs invoice or anything as yet ?
    might it turn up in the post ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Since you have to assume that the sellers specify the correct value on the customs form, and asking otherwise would be illegal, then unless you can split the order into parts less than the £18 threshold to get charged VAT by HMRC, it's better to order once else you'll pay multiple £10.50 handling charges. Splitting seems unlikely to result in packages worth less than £18 if you're ordering ballscrews, linear bearings and the like.
    ...wondering ... my total was made up of , half price, and half post ... could I legally ask then just to put the 'item cost' price on the label ?

I guess they do it to 'cheat' anyway ...

Legally.....no you have to ask them to declare the full purchase value....however some sellers put small values on so you don't get hit with much. I think my 1300mm 1610 ball screw assemblies were declared at £12 ish each.......
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 7 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    no customs invoice or anything as yet ?
    might it turn up in the post ?
    It'll drop through the letter box soon...

fedex letter came
    it was £10.50 fedex fees, plus vat on the item so £53 total

at least I know now !

I've just ordered some solar PV panels from ALi

Just shopping for linear rails now ....

Should have a new CNC built early in the year :D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information