. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    I ordered a spindle last night.

I've been asked
    "
    We need your confirmation for the customs clearance to ship the products as soon as possible:
    1.We'll write the item name as Spindle Motor.
    2.We'll declare the real value of 345.79USD according to the rules on aliexpress.Is it easy to customs clearance in this situation?
    3.Is there any special requirement for the customs clearance?
    4.Please kindly noted that we'll determine the final shipping company according to our local customs and shipping courier's policy.

"

What's the best answer to number 3 ?
    Last edited by Want2build1; 12-11-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2build1 View Post
    I ordered a spindle last night.

I've been asked
    "
    We need your confirmation for the customs clearance to ship the products as soon as possible:
    1.We'll write the item name as Spindle Motor.
    2.We'll declare the real value of 345.79USD according to the rules on aliexpress.Is it easy to customs clearance in this situation?
    3.Is there any special requirement for the customs clearance?
    4.Please kindly noted that we'll determine the final shipping company according to our local customs and shipping courier's policy.

"

What's the best answer to number 3 ?
    Unless you know any different I would answer NO ..Clive

sent a few messages, it seems they just want to make sure I am aware that there 'could' be customs fees at my end.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    There's no 'could' about it, there 'will' be!

well ... let's hope they're not too much !
    It's a learning thing for me this time ... I hope to order more soon.
    I had a look on the customs web site, and it's not clear... it say's you can have so much 'duty free' which was £270 threshold or something, but I couldn't find any info on 'spare parts' ?

The spindle was approx £220 inc shipping. anyone know roughly how much I'll have to pay, and how the payment process works ?

My best guess is about £30 to £70 if I have to pay VAT too

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It's well above the no duty threshold.

I usually allow 25% plus £10 for the handling fee.
    Import duty on most things is usually 1-3%, then the courier's handling fee can be anything from about £6 to £20, then you have to pay VAT on top of everything.
    The handling fee, and how and when the duty gets paid depends entirely on who the courier is in the UK.
    Royal Mail/Parcelforce require the duty to be paid before they'll deliver, whereas others may deliver then you get a letter a few days/weeks later for the duty.

any idea who would be the cheapest, as they gave me a choice ... all the big boys
    dhl TNT etc. and EMS ?

Is there a thread on here about importing ? maybe there should be ?

Have a search as it's been discussed before.

Unless things have changed, EMS will end up with RoyalMail or ParcelForce depending on size/value. DHL may also end up with ParcelForce.
    I've had stuff come via TNT and Fedex recently, but I'd have to dig out their invoices to tell you what their handling fees are.

Just found a Fedex invoice, and their fee was £10.50 which was VAT exempt (thee fee that is, not the rest of bill!)

thanks for the reply :)

i'll just have to wait and see i suppose !

FedEx's "Advancement fee" is £10.50. The VAT is charged at the standard 20%, well it was on the 2 FedEx invoices I've not long paid!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information