. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    This is a first conversion of any kind for me and im not sure where to start what needs to go what to keep particularly with the tool changer:
    theres an almost 3/4 inch thick manual that came with it so a fair bit of reading to do and i will add to the thread as i go.
    edited to add the parts list so far
    .................................................. .................................................. .....................................
    spindle speed board http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-107
    breakout board http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-126
    70v psu
    stepper motors-sy60 nema23,s from zapps
    drivers- DQ860MA 80V 7.8A
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe 006.jpg 
Views:	895 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	10795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe 005.jpg 
Views:	1155 
Size:	272.0 KB 
ID:	10794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe 016.jpg 
Views:	1889 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	10793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe 007.jpg 
Views:	1139 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	10791  
    Last edited by dazza; 02-05-2014 at 06:31 PM.

few other pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe2 001.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	907.3 KB 
ID:	10797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe2 017.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	10798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe2 013.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	10799  

Quote Originally Posted by deisel View Post
    not sure where to start
    I think start by giving it a thorough clean, then oil it. It looks like you've got it outside at the moment so you definitely want to put oil on the bed and get it indoors asap to stop it rusting.

what needs to go
    It depends if you need to convert it to mach3 or not. If the existing system still works, then you'd save a lot of effort just leaving it as it is.

what to keep particularly with the tool changer:
    Easiest option is just remove everything from the control box and start again, but you might be able to save a bit by re-using some parts. For instance the power supplies might be suitable for modern stepper drivers, so check their voltage and current ratings if you can. Look at what the spindle (which oddly enough I can't see in the photos?) is connected to - there's likely an encoder and some sort of driver for the motor. Also see what the toolchanger connected to.

From your pictures it looks like the stepper motors are Nema34. Have you tried googling the part numbers on them to see if you can find a datasheet? If you're lucky the current ratings might be written on them.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 17-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.

thanks.
    ive attatched pdfs of all the electronics,a lad on the zones also given me a macro for mach3 that was written for this toolchanger,
    im hoping to do away with all the electronics if i can and re-new with up to date stuff.
    im told the company it came from was forever having someone out to sort out the electrics so they give it the boot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DM-3000 Stepper Driver Board Schematic.pdf   DM-3000 Machine Distribution Board Schematic.pdf   DM-3000 Spindle Servo Control Schematic.pdf  

Since most of the things seem to be opto-isolated, it would be relatively straightforward to connect a parallel port breakout board to these opto-isolators, and have Mach3 control them directly. Perhaps do that for the spindle and ATC, but replace the stepper drivers with modern ones? Do you know what part of the electronics kept going wrong with it?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Im not sure what was wrong with it,.I bought it fully committed to convert it to mach regardless of wether it worked or not as trying to run it via the factory control system looked like a bit of a head do-er and as im used to mach..
    Last edited by dazza; 19-03-2014 at 11:46 AM.

can anyone recommend a decent breakout board that will control things like coolant toolchanger spindle speed etc.i don't want to go with cheap/make do.
    parts so far are
    stepper motors-sy60 nema23,s from zapps
    drivers- DQ860MA 80V 7.8A
    70v psu
    I like the sound of these pmdx-126 boards with a 107 spindle board but am I right in thinking id need to go digital drives to work with this? im not a tech head... all references to these ive come across seem to recommend qecko drivers.
    I cant stretch to buying posh drivers as well,without getting a concussion from the wife.
    any alternative solutions, a bit of direction thanks

I like the sound of these pmdx-126 boards with a 107 spindle board but am I right in thinking id need to go digital drives to work with this? im not a tech head... all references to these ive come across seem to recommend qecko drivers.
    No you can use them with any drives you like and they are IMO by far the best BOB on the market by long way. (Even thou one just cost me 24hrs head banging this weekend.!!)
    You won't go wrong with this board and while digital drives are very nice to have a Good BOB is certainly equal on my priority list. There's nothing you can buy in this country that comes close to the PMDX.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-05-2014 at 02:06 PM.

ta jazz,just waiting for a reply from em on delivery

[QUOTE=Jonathan;51530]
    Look at what the spindle (which oddly enough I can't see in the photos?) is connected to - there's likely an encoder and some sort of driver for the motor. Also see what the toolchanger connected to.
    QUOTE]
    the spindle motors an SEM MT30 U4-48 MT30 Series Servomotors
    theres a big board see image for the spindle motor, theres so many parts,and the manual really only covers operation and maintenance below spindle servo board p/n-ss-227-rev.3
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyna bits 037.jpg 
Views:	690 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	12312

Name:	dyna bits 015.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	12313

Name:	dyna bits 018.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	12314
    the power supplys are both 24v and the one on the end 5v

Name:	dyna bits 031.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	12315
    various other bits,the board below looks to be some kind of breakout board, theres connector sockets marked L,T,X,Z, T being for the tool changer and the L? and a blue socket on the back the encoder ribbon plugged in to. p/n-3000-ds-213-rev.4a

Name:	dyna bits 039.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	12316
    drivers were in a sorry state and looked to have been repaired a number of times

Name:	dyna bits 022.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	12317
    tach

Name:	tach 002.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	772.9 KB 
ID:	12318

Name:	tach 007.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	876.1 KB 
ID:	12319
    Last edited by dazza; 22-02-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information