. .
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Anybody with a small mill/router willing to modify a couple gears for me?

The picture below shows what I'd like, but with the teeth still intact on the new gears!
    It's for my Nitro truck so my Nephews can play with it (honest, guv!), however the gear is now obsolete, so I'm needing to make my own replacement. The main bit I need done are the 4 bigger locating pins around the centre (the locating dimples aren't really needed - they're just to help grip the slip clutch linings, but the 4 pins should be enough) on both sides.

I'll rough machine them to thickness, bore the centre, and can also make up a fixture to make holding them on a mill easier, so I'd really only need the locating pin machining done.

The replacements I've bought are Nylon6 with 30% glass fill, as that seemed the best of the options I could find (other options were Delrin, Hostaform, or steel), so I'm not sure how well they'll machine.
    Size wise they are 40mm diameter (or 39tooth 1MOD).

Attachment 10855

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Found these that are nice & cheap, (Sitemap - Technobots - Electronic Components & Mechanical Components @ 40T could you replace the drive pinion to try and match the centre distance.
    Regards
    Mike

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    m-c
    Sorry M8 miss read that, do you just want the neww gears to have 4 locating dowels ?
    Could the gears be drilled and steel pins pushed in ?
    Mike

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Funnily enough, I did think of that while out this morning.
    It could be a possible solution. I'll try and get everything measured up and see what I can find.

The other options is an alloy gear, as I'm sure the plates the other side of the friction linings run on are just alloy, so the locating dowels wouldn't matter then, and the linings could just run straight onto the gear.

Thread Information