. .
    Hello. I am another new member from west Cumbria (cockermouth). I am a complete CNC beginner and hoping to learn enough to purchase a good value machine and have it working for me in the early new year.

My specific interest is 3d hardwood carving. I am looking at machines with bed size up to around 1200mm square, with working depth of at least 75mm. I may start with something smaller though to get the hang of it.

I would be grateful if someone could point me to CNC beginners guides, books, tutorials, online tips etc. I am currently trying to get my head around the different types of hardware and software, and how it all works together, before taking the plunge and getting my credit card out.

You will be hearing plenty from me in the near future, with posts desperately begging for help as I struggle to achieve my goals. At the moment I am a bit intimidated by it all as I try to get my head around the whole process. I am no stranger to steep learning curves however. My last big project was a self build house. My motto is 'how hard can it be?'

Chris

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Chris
    Welcome to the forum, i am a noobe also and not to far away(Barrow)
    Think Eddy Current is in your area and i think he is building a unit now, there's loads of top guys on here that will help you out regarding a new purchase, but there's also some *rap about, have a look through the build logs and it will give you a better idea regarding decent construction, and if have a particular machine in mind just post and Dean or one of the boys will offer constructive advice. Enjoy
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I would be grateful if someone could point me to CNC beginners guides, books, tutorials, online tips etc. I am currently trying to get my head around the different types of hardware and software, and how it all works together, before taking the plunge and getting my credit card out.
    You'll struggle to find anyone source of knowledge but this forum is about the Best place to start and most of the stuff that's relevant or useful is here.
    After browsing and searching then Just ASK for anything your not clear on and DONT BE AFRAID to ask what may seem Dumb questions, they will have been asked before that's for sure and it's dumber to not ask.!

If you don't get a response or things get more confusing than clear, which often happens at first, then feel free to PM me directly and I'll do my best to clear things up for you. Often I'll give people my Phone number if too hard to Explain Via txt has it's quicker easier and much clearer, saves my poor fingers has well. . Lol

Good Luck and Happy CNC-ing.

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps. I will certainly be using your kind offers of help.

Chris

Thread Information