. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello all, i haven't really posted much on this forum however i have browsed the many threads on here for a couple of years now.

I've designed and built a router over the past 18 months and i am now at the point where i am ready to start wiring it up. its taken me this long because i have only been doing it during my spare time while at work where i have all the facilities, and also due to lack of money (have a 2 year old son, plus i'm saving to get married.....doh!)

this machine has really just been a project for me to understand the basics of machine building, i'm not really too fussed on high accuracy just yet, i just want a machine that works! so that i can simply learn from it and maybe use that knowledge to build an even better machine in the future.

here's where i am at now:

yes i know, unsupported rails! noooooooooo! and they're not ballscrews, they are 16mm trapeziodal screws. i originally had in mind to use ball screws and profiled rails/supported rails all over but to keep costs to a minimum i just had to go with the cheapest option. like i said before, this is just for me to learn with, i can always upgrade later on or build a better one.
    i only plan on cutting wood and some plastics with this anyway so its not like it needs to be super rigid. i would like to one day be able to make some bespoke wooden toys for my son.

anyway back to the build. like i said i am ready to start wiring it up, my only issue is i am not a big fan of electronics. i love doing mechanical stuff, but try to avoid electrical whenever i can. now i am at the point where i have no choice.

i have already got 3 stepper motors (3.1Nm) from cnc4you, as i needed these to make the mounts. but now i'm unsure as to which components would suit my build best.

i like the idea of sticking with cnc4you, as they supply all of the wiring diagrams on there website (which i need lol). so i was thinking of using the CW5054 microstepping driver with the HG08 breakout board. any concerns with these?
    also which PSU would be most suitable for my machine, would the 400W 36V be sufficient?

oh and i havent got the spindle yet, i was thinking about just buying the little makita router i've seen on here a couple of times, however i do quite like the idea of making my own brushless motor as shown on these forums.

apologies if i sound dumb.......... or lazy! i really have done quite a bit of research into which electronics i need, but i easily get bogged down by all the amps, volts and watts etc... like i said, electronics just isn't my thing! so i would rather ask first than get it all wrong!

i plan on using linux cnc, because i hate windows, and linux is free!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	373.4 KB 
ID:	10918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	10919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	10920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (4).jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	10921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (5).jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	10922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (6).jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	10923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	375.1 KB 
ID:	10924  

Thread Information