. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All
    Sorry not been on for a while but have been flat out working.
    Now I have a Question for anyone that might know if it is Possible to do.

For instance
    A flat piece of wood 300x300x50mm
    and i want to carve an oval recess in the middle , BUT the sides need to gently rise from the bottom to the top of the wood.

The software I am using is Cut3d/VcarvePro6/Coral Draw / Coral Paint and Vector art 3D and Mach3
    or do I need to buy another software package to do this type of Pocketing .

Pete

Hi Petesos
    When you say the sides need to gently rise do you mean sides are @ an angle to the bottom of the recess ? if so perhaps an angled router bit would do.
    Regards
    Mike

Hi Mike
    Yes you could do it with that type of tool but wouldnt that leave steps in the sides rather than a smooth gentle rising curve up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graphic1.bmp dish.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	10943
    Pete

You need 3d CAM like Aspire and Ball nose router bit for this type of job. This is 3D not 2.5D job.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 07-12-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Hi Pete
    Please be aware that i am new to CNC and do not (as yet) have a machine so i am approaching this from a different perspective. If a suitable taper cutter is available could you machine the pocket to it's base dimension with a parallel cutter, change the cutter over to the tater cutter,set the cutter just cleare of the bottom of the pocket and incrementally step the cutter out until the the side is finished(no steps)
    Plan "B" again you need a cutter with the required angle, just make a router template jig and do it by hand,obviously producing the oval shape is the only hard part to the job, but it's easy peasy on your CNC.
    Does that make any sense.
    Regards
    Mike

Does any of your software let you use depth maps ? that should be quite easy to do.

I take it you are wanting to make a platter/bowl/plate of some decscription ?

My mistake. You said you have Cut3d and i did not see it. You can use that if the object is made by some 3d CAD software and exported in STL, 3D DXF, 3DS, OBJ, WRL, LWO, V3M

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Pete
    Please be aware that i am new to CNC and do not (as yet) have a machine so i am approaching this from a different perspective. If a suitable taper cutter is available could you machine the pocket to it's base dimension with a parallel cutter, change the cutter over to the tater cutter,set the cutter just cleare of the bottom of the pocket and incrementally step the cutter out until the the side is finished(no steps)
    Plan "B" again you need a cutter with the required angle, just make a router template jig and do it by hand,obviously producing the oval shape is the only hard part to the job, but it's easy peasy on your CNC.
    Does that make any sense.
    Regards
    Mike
    Hi Mike
    Yes I could do it that way but I dont think you would get the long sweeping sides rising to the top ,,but will have a go
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Want2build1 View Post
    Does any of your software let you use depth maps ? that should be quite easy to do.

I take it you are wanting to make a platter/bowl/plate of some decscription ?
    I am not sure if any of the softwear I have has the depth map function as I have looked and not found it ,,,,any ideas where to find it Yes I am trying to do a weird shaped bowl and am wanting nice sweeping sides to it ...

Is there a software package that I could buy that would allow me to create my own designs and then mill it out ???
    Pete
    Last edited by petesos; 07-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    My mistake. You said you have Cut3d and i did not see it. You can use that if the object is made by some 3d CAD software and exported in STL, 3D DXF, 3DS, OBJ, WRL, LWO, V3M
    Hi Bud
    Yes I can use that but cut3d will not let you design your own shape and I have over a thousand 3d models but not one unique one
    that I could personalise.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information