Thread: PC cannot find CD ROM ?
I recently fitted a second HDD to my DELL Precision 380 Desktop pc. (My aim is to run the MACH 3 software on the 2nd HDD) On re booting, Windows found the 2nd HDD and configured it ok. My problem started when a came to download the software from the CD Drive, nothing happened, this is what i checked out : -
The Hard Drives are SATA, drive 0 & drive 1. CD ROM is connected by IDE ribbon.
1) LED on front of CD ROM tray flashes.
2) CD is spinning OK.
3) CD tray ejects by pressing eject button.
3) Entered "My Computer" no CD icon showing.
4) Entered "Device Manager" there is no CD drive Listed.
5) Re started PC, pressed F2 and entered BIOS set up.
7) Scrolled to Boot Sequence it reads "On Board or USB CD ROM "Not Present"
8) In SATA setting, tried all 4 positions (No Change)
8) Tried spare IDE cable (No Change)
9) Tried spare, known good CD ROM Drive (No Change)
10) CD ROM jumper is at CS
11) Tried many variations of Jumper position (No Change)
if you disconnect 2nd HDD does it find CD?
Sounds like IDE controller disabled in BIOS
While i was following your advice on whether the IDE controller may be disabled, i was in BIOS @ the Drives section marked 0 - 6, my Floppy drive is OFF, i have no Floppy drive. 0 is my 1st HDD and therefore was ON, 1, is my 2nd HDD and again is ON. Drives 2 - 6 were OFF, though it stated that the Factory Default setting is ON.
So i turned all the drives to ON, everything now works fine, cannot explain it, but i could not find were the IDE controller is, but thank you anyway.
You're welcome. on my system drives 0,1 are SATA, drives 2,3 are IDE1, drives 4,5 are IDE2
The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:
By malzyk in forum Opportunities Available & SoughtReplies: 0Last Post: 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
By navinmg6585 in forum New Member IntroductionsReplies: 0Last Post: 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM
By sysupplier in forum Manufacturer NewsReplies: 0Last Post: 01-09-2012, 09:19 AM
By don_jarr in forum Gantry/Router Machines & BuildingReplies: 2Last Post: 16-06-2011, 03:28 PM
By Scott in forum Machine DiscussionReplies: 4Last Post: 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM