. .
    Lives in Rochester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 29-05-2016 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 6. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    Hi all,

I have two ballscrews on my machine that aren't straight - is it common practice to have that 'repaired' or do people normally buy replacements? I just learned that it's actually possible to straighten them with the right equipment (youtube told me), but is there any place a DIY cnc-er can turn to for such a service? Mine are the 2510 type and quite long so it would cost a lot to replace.

Mark

Maybe this type of thing ? the rollers on one side are usually fixed in a straight line while the opposite 3 are adjustable.
    Roller straightener - RAVNI Technologies

Something on a smaller scale but demonstrates the idea
    Fret Bender ( Home made ) Fret Wire Bender all Radius Adjustable - YouTube
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 07-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Lives in Rochester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 29-05-2016 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 6. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    Thanks. The video that I saw on youtube for straightening ball screws is this one Eitel RP-16 straightening press - ballscrew demo - YouTube and I was wondering if that sort of service has been used by anyone on this forum. Whether there is such a service, even.

Perhaps I'm only imagining that the wobble in my x-axis ball screws are affecting my work, but something is (affecting my work, that is) and I feel like doing something about it. When my machine was installed we had a terrible time getting it through the door and the ball screws were grabbed ... I know, but it was that or dropping the whole thing. Besides, at the time none of us knew what a ball screw was anyway :-(

That was two years ago and things aren't bad, just not really great.

I sent them an email. Taking my machine apart, I found out that one of the ballnuts is all but stuck; it looks corroded on the inside, or at least not nice and shiny. I'm surprised the stepper gets it to move at all. So I have to replace some parts in any case.

Thread Information