. .
    Hi,

I am Les from Sussex, I am fairly new to the world of CNC, I really only got my cheapo 3020 for making PCB's. To be fair it has performed really well, and I am pleased with my purchase. I have already done a bunch of mods to the machine but I am thinking of upgrading the entire electronics and building a new enclosure for it. I thought it would be wise to get some advise and this seemed like the premier place to get it.

Regards,

Les

Welcome Les, are you upgrading because you have problems or is it just an interesting project for you ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 15-12-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Welcome Les, are you upgrading because you have problems or is it just an interesting project for you ?
    Thanks Ed,

You did reply to my thread already.

The upgrades are just a fun project, but there is one annoying problem which has now happened 3 or 4 times...

The Z axis coupling becomes loose and the axis drops down from the motor. Last night is was the motor side that came loose, previously it had been the leadscrew side. Fortunately it wasn't during a job and happened while setting up, but it was a major pain to take apart and tighten up. I have re-tightened everything again and put some thread lock on the screws this time. The coupling looks something like this. Is there a better alternative?

Regards,

Les

Sorry Les, must be loosing my marbles
    I can't understand why the axis should drop because the coupling should not be holding anything up, it should just be connecting the motor and ball screw shafts.
    The ball screw should have a bearing and support block at each end.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Sorry Les, must be loosing my marbles
    I can't understand why the axis should drop because the coupling should not be holding anything up, it should just be connecting the motor and ball screw shafts.
    The ball screw should have a bearing and support block at each end.
    Well if the coupling becomes loose the motor/leadscrew separate so the axis falls down. There is nothing else holding it and don't understand how there could be as it has to move up an down. I don't have any close up pictures but this is same machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3020.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	11020

Regards,

Les

Sorry Les it's me. I'm not familiar with these machines, I was thinking of a Z axis similar to this Z Axis 250mm Ballscrew Plain Mount
    As you say it looks like the leadscrew screws directly into the Z axis block so if the coupling fails the whole lot drops.
    Maybe someone else with a similar machine has a better arrangement ?

Thread Information