. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Don't mind doing it FOC but My main problem is I'm very time limited so machine is always busy when I'm in workshop and fitting in large jobs just hisn't possible without planning well ahead and recently machines been broke down so I'm well behind anyway but I can slip in the Odd quick job so if it's quick I'll do it.

Draw it up and let me have a look.
    Thanks again, I have an idea in mind of what I want, but I need decide on the switches, buttons & connectors. It could be a couple of weeks off yet, depending on when the other parts arrive. Anyway as soon as I have a rough idea I will draw something up.

Regards,

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy View Post
    That's how I have always done it, but seeing as I am spending so much time and effort on this, it would be nice to get it done properly. It would also be nice if I could get some text engraved as well.
    Why not knock something up quick so you can use your machine to make the panels ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

I just noticed that the PSU for the controller is only 4.5A. It's this model to be exact.

Now I have no idea what the stepper motors are, as there is no numbers on the outside (they are about 56mm square), but I am guessing 4.5A probably doesn't leave much to spare. Seeing as I want to steal some of this power for some power LEDs or LED strips to light up the inside of the enclosure, I am thinking of upping this to 10a or so.

Any suggestions on which one to get?

Regards,

Les

You can get cheap 24V PSU's on eBay...Input AC110-220V Output DC 24V Regulated Switching Power Supply For LED Light | eBay I got the 24V 250W one (although I got mine from Hong Kong) for driving 4.5A. LED strips only take a couple of hundred mAh depending on how long your strip was so you won't need anything too large! Also most LED's are 12V so you will need to factor that into the equation. Why don't you get a 240V to 12V LED PSU transformer like this one 18w LED Driver Power Supply Transformer 240V - DC 12V | eBay?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks for the reply, but I think I would rather just have a single 24v supply, that gives extra for the motors and leaves me plenty to tap off should I want.

I have also had another turn around and decided to put a mini ITX board inside instead of the laptop. I have a bunch of 775 CPU's kicking around and a 4GB stick of DDR3, so all I need is the motherboard and PSU, which I have have just ordered.

I am also struggling to find some nice momentary, LED lit buttons, that don't cost a fortune. Anyone have any suggestions? These are nice but at £5 a time could get rather expensive.

Regards,

Les

Well I went a bit OTT and got one of these. It was going very cheap on Ebay though, and I like the fact it has the remote option, this will make it easy to integrate into a safety system.

The mini ITX motherboard turned up and I was able to get that up and running without any dramas, and even though it isn't listed on the Intel website the Q6600 quad core I had laying around works fine with it. The only annoying thing is the parallel port is the other way up, so when I plug my gender changer in it flips the BOB upside down. I am not sure if anyone makes a NON inverting DB25 male - male, so looks like I might have to make up a short cable, or try and make my own instead.

Just waiting for the flex PSU for the PC and the above mentioned 24V PSU to arrive and then I can actually start thinking about assembly.

Regards,

Les

I am not sure if anyone is actually interested in this project/thread but I could do a build log for this. I have begun work on the controller box/electrics and should have the rest of the bits needed to complete the wiring here this week. It would be useful to get some feedback on my parts placement and other design ideas.

Regards,

Les

I would be interested in seeing your progress Les, get some pics up!
    Jim
    Last edited by cncJim; 18-02-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy View Post
    I am not sure if anyone is actually interested in this project/thread . . .
    Les, keep at it, sometimes feedback hits a lull I'm sure it's just because people have other things to do. As Jim says pictures are a great help.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thanks for the replies guys, if I were to do a build log, which forum does it belong in?

Regards,

Les

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information