Hi Guys,
I have a little issue with my X (long) axis stalling occasionally (I ran a 2.5 hour job yesterday with no problems, but the subsequent 10 minute pocketing routine produced a nasty stall) and I think I have traced this to a slightly banana shaped ballscrew, possibly made worse by my misting solution messing with the lubrication of the machine generally.
Anyway I've been looking at some of the new digital drivers out there, which claim to have stall detection (AM882 etc.), but what does this actually mean in practise? I'd like to think the driver (in concert with the BoB and MACH3?) can automatically compensate for stalls/missed steps, but I suspect its a case of the machine stopping, whilst the mechanical fault is cleared and then being able to run from that point, without a new and unintended offset being introduced halfway through a job.
Anyone with practical experience of their behaviour would be much appreciated, as I may get the drivers anyway, just for peace of mind and use my 752's on something else (I have plans for a larger 2nd machine for wood and also have been giving my brand new SC4 lathe the evil eye, since I found out its main leadscrew is Oldham coupled at one end and pillow blocked at the other :-) ).
I also see Leadshine now list the AM882 as discontinued, so will have to scout out what the alternative is for a machine running its motors at ~68V.
Cheers
Chris
PS. Merry Christmas in case I don't post again before the season gets into full swing.