Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11
    Oh before I take it apart, do any of you happen to know the number of balls meant to be inside? The blocks measure about 61mm x 47mm.
    Last edited by Tenson; 21-12-2013 at 03:58 AM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Oh before I take it apart, do any of you happen to know the number of balls meant to be inside? The blocks measure about 61mm x 47mm.
    Sorry can't help here not got any 15mm at the moment only 20 and they will probably have more balls or larger balls.? I've re-built the bearing now and haven't really got time to strip back down and count balls.

  3. #13
    Okay I took the worst sounding bearing apart, cleaned and re-assembled. Thanks for the help Jazz.

    Sadly it seems just the same! I couldn't see any damage to the plates. Interestingly these bearings have no plastic tubes, see the image.

    That said, it probably is to do with the plates as they quiet down with some weight on them, presumably pressing the balls onto the main body and keeping them off the plate edge.





    Last edited by Tenson; 23-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.

  4. #14
    So how many balls ? and did you compare that bearing with one of the other quieter ones ?

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Sadly it seems just the same! I couldn't see any damage to the plates. Interestingly these bearings have no plastic tubes, see the image.

    That said, it probably is to do with the plates as they quiet down with some weight on them, presumably pressing the balls onto the main body and keeping them off the plate edge.
    Ok well this is not unusual but it does show they are older than 3yrs because for the last 3yrs every one i've used has the tubes. Before that they didn't.! Infact the latest ones the plates are actually fastened using little screws and can be removed without taking the end caps off.

    Regards the weight making them quite down then again thats not unusal and they will move more freely also and take that notchy feel away.!

    Honestly I wouldn't worry about it put them back together and use.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 23-12-2013 at 09:29 PM.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Regards the weight making them quite down then again thats not unusal and they will move more freely also and take that notchy feel away.!
    Good idea, if you have a decent set of weighing scales this might show a difference between the one you stripped down and one of the quieter ones.

  7. #17
    Well.. if you want to count the balls they are in that picture! I know it had the correct number because there were an equal number in each track and the gap between them was the same as the other smoother running bearing.

    I'm not that worried now I know there is nothing clearly wrong. I'll get to using them.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Good idea, if you have a decent set of weighing scales this might show a difference between the one you stripped down and one of the quieter ones.
    Really not worth the effort has they will be fine and besides there's very little can be done about it if they are worn out because the body will be worn not just the balls.!
    Even if they are worn they will still be miles better than the cheap round rail bearings unless completely knackerd which they don't look or sound to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. DIY Linear Bearings
    By CraftyGeek in forum Rails, Guideways & Bearings
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 11:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM
  3. FOR SALE: 25mm Linear Slide bearings
    By D-man in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-11-2010, 05:14 PM
  4. Anybody used these linear bearings before?
    By pjl83 in forum Rails, Guideways & Bearings
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM
  5. Play in linear bearings
    By leadinglights in forum Rails, Guideways & Bearings
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •