. .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Many thanks for all the help this afternoon, I have just placed a order for a water cooled spindle and VFD, I will probably need help setting up, but I know where to come.
    Thanks all again Mike.

After reading more about VFD and after speaking to the supplier, I have changed my order to a Air cooled spindle and matching power supply that is simple to connect to MACH3. It will have more power than my old router with a lot more control, so at slower speed it will be quieter. It's all I need
    I have been reading lots of problems with VFD in setting up and also one which overheated his new spindle to scrap after getting the setting wrong on the VFD and he had a electrician wiring it.
    So I'm happy with the decision that I have made. Keeping it simple. Mike.
    Last edited by Bush Flyer; 31-12-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Flyer View Post
    After reading more about VFD and after speaking to the supplier, I have changed my order to a Air cooled spindle and matching power supply that is simple to connect to MACH3. It will have more power than my old router with a lot more control, so at slower speed it will be quieter.
    Mike, How is the speed controlled ? does the motor have a two speed winding ?

The speed is controlled by a potentiometer or connected to the breakout board, I think it has just 2 wires going to the spindle, But I have no seen it yet so could be wrong. The seller says that there are power from 230v to power unit then wire to the spindle and the 2 wires from the breakout board. Then 3 wires to the potentiometer from the power supply.
    I will know better when it arrives.

After reading more about VFD and after speaking to the supplier, I have changed my order to a Air cooled spindle and matching power supply that is simple to connect to MACH3. It will have more power than my old router with a lot more control, so at slower speed it will be quieter. It's all I need
    I have been reading lots of problems with VFD in setting up and also one which overheated his new spindle to scrap after getting the setting wrong on the VFD and he had a electrician wiring it.
    So I'm happy with the decision that I have made. Keeping it simple. Mike.
    Sorry to say this but that was a mistake and in the long run I don't think it's any simpler because of limitations in use.
    The VFD's are not hard to setup at all and ounce done that's it you never touch them again. For every one that have trouble there are 1000 that don't and even then it's not the VFD to blame but the user's lack of knowledge or care to make sure they have the correct settings. To fry one of these Spindles they would have needed to have it very wrong.!

Air cooled or Water cooled connecting to Mach is the same. Both will need speed control if you want to control speed from within the G-code. Both will need a relay to just control On/Off which your BOB will most likely have. The VFD has one built into it which can be programmed to come on or off with the spindle to control water pump or what ever you desire.

The thing the supplier may not have mentioned is the Duty cycle of the Air cooled spindle. The time can run the spindle before having to turn it off for a rest and cool down.!! . . The Cheap air cooled spindle if run at full speed will possibly need resting for 20-30mins every 2-3hrs and even the expensive Air cooled spindles will need resting 8-10hrs if run at full speed.
    The WC spindles don't really have a Duty cycle and they run so cool they can be run at full speed for days without any trouble, mine often gets run for 12hrs none stop without even flinching.

Also because they are Air cooled they will have a fan just like a Router so will be noisy. WC spindles are much quieter and yes you still get same noise from cutter/material but even allowing for that they are much quieter than Air cooled spindles or routers.!!. . . Really Only those who have had Both can fully appreciate how much.!!

If possible I would reverse that decision.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 31-12-2013 at 10:57 PM.

+1 to what Jazz has just said. You've made a mistake.

If the motor has got two wires then it's most likely a DC-motor, so 1830's technology... noisy, brushes that'll wear out and low efficiency (hence heat and potentially low duty cycle). It's also likely to have poorer quality bearings - might not even be angular contact, so the stiffness will be lower and who knows how long it will last.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

First post here and I have done the same as Bush Flyer, I ordered a dc spindle with power unit from Ebay. Well guess what I did this morning, after finding this thread, Yes you know it, I phoned the supplier this morning and cancelled my order I was lucky that he was happy to refund my money. Looks like I will have to read some more about spindles.
    Last edited by Modelling Mike; 02-01-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: missing first part of post

I to have just cancelled my order again. And I won't be able to order there for a long time as it was that seller who advised me to buy the DC spindle and power unit. And when I tried to order the water cooled spindle and VFD as before, he said that there were none in stock at the original price. So have asked for a refund which will take seven days.
    This will give me lots of time to decide what to buy.

I to have just cancelled my order again. And I won't be able to order there for a long time as it was that seller who advised me to buy the DC spindle and power unit. And when I tried to order the water cooled spindle and VFD as before, he said that there were none in stock at the original price. So have asked for a refund which will take seven days.
    No surprise then he tried to talk you into the DC Spindle.!! . . . . . . . .But Don't worry about it because there are loads of suppliers quite willing to supply.!

You won't regret cancelling thats for sure.!

Quote Originally Posted by Modelling Mike View Post
    First post here and I have done the same as Bush Flyer, I ordered a dc spindle with power unit from Ebay. Well guess what I did this morning, after finding this thread, Yes you know it, I phoned the supplier this morning and cancelled my order I was lucky that he was happy to refund my money. Looks like I will have to read some more about spindles.
    There is a nice thread on the 2.2Kw spindles here if you havnt seen it yet: The 2.2Kw Chinese Spindles - Info, Setup and Advice + More

.Me
    .Me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information