. .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Bear in mind that ABB's recommendations for cable size are probably trying to cover themselves for most applications, whereas our application is quite specific.
    Jonathan, I fully understand what you are saying but it's a bit like the DIY person who installs a new 13amp socket outlet using a bit of 3 core flex because he only wants to plug a table lamp into it. They sell the house and next owner plugs a 3 bar electric fire into it.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-01-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: I meant 'to' not 'too'

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 42 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    The supply cable could be 4 core armoured.
    Eddy Do you not think that this is a bit OTT as on these type of VFD's there is not the provision to connect wire armoured cable with a separate box. I don't know of anybody in a DIY situation that would use it. Just my two cents worth ..Clive

This is going to sound rich coming from ME but come on Lads don't turn it into an argument and pyshics lesson so to confuse the Man.

Bush Flyer 1.0mm/2 is fine for these Spindles and what I've fitted many times without any issues even on heavy use machines but if you want to cross I's & Dot the T's then use 1.5mm/2.

2.5mm/2 for the VFD Input. If near heavy traffic or chance of damage etc then armoured if not then just use 2.5 Flex not ridged mains cable.

Right 1.5mm/2 cable for the spindle and normal 3 core for the mains but the size I was going to buy 1.5mm/2 cable as that can handle 15amps, and a wall plug is only 13amps.
    2.5mm/2 would be able to handle 20amps but still the wall plug is only rated at 13 amps.
    Or have I got to take the main feed straight from the fuse box to get 45amp supply in the house ( I hope not.)
    Last edited by Bush Flyer; 10-01-2014 at 06:13 PM.

2.5mm^2 for the VFD input is excessive. 1mm^2 is adequate...so if you want peace of mind go for 1.5mm^2!

It's a 1.5kW spindle, so anything above that and the VFD will cut out within a few seconds - i.e. too fast for the cable to heat up, so you only need to rate the cable for 1.5kW. 1500/230=6.5 amps, hence 1mm^2 (rated for 10 amps) is plenty for a 1.5kW spindle and just enough for 2.2kW as 2200/230=9.6A.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-01-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It's a 1.5kW spindle, so anything above that and the VFD will cut out within a few seconds - i.e. too fast for the cable to heat up, so you only need to rate the cable for 1.5kW. 1500/230=6.5 amps, hence 1mm^2 (rated for 10 amps) is plenty for a 1.5kW spindle and just enough for 2.2kW as 2200/230=9.6A.
    Didn't realise it was 1.5Kw spindle so yep 1.5^2 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Eddy Do you not think that this is a bit OTT as on these type of VFD's there is not the provision to connect wire armoured cable with a separate box. I don't know of anybody in a DIY situation that would use it. Just my two cents worth ..Clive
    It's recommended that the supply cable also has a screen so I was meaning the supply cable to the control panel enclosure which I assumed would be metal and wall mounted. Just because people keep saying it's DIY I'm not into dumbing things down. I would suggest the supply be fed by a 16 amp minimum supply, if you want a plug and socket then it's the blue type.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-01-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Right that's it sorted, I have ordered 4 core 1.5mm/2 screened and 1.5mm/2 normal 3 core mains.
    Thanks for all your help, once I have it set up and I run into problems I will probably need your help again.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 42 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    From your post #25

The VFD is 1.5kw HUANYANG VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE.
    The motor is a, Germany Imported Bearing, water cooled spindle 0.8Kw
    I take it your spindle is 0.8Kw .. Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 10-01-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    From your post #24

I take it your spindle is 0.8Kw .. Clive
    Ahh, this is the point where you consider Eddy's post #31:

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Jonathan, I fully understand what you are saying but it's a bit like the DIY person who installs a new 13amp socket outlet using a bit of 3 core flex because he only wants too plug a table lamp into it. They sell the house and next owner plugs a 3 bar electric fire into it.
    We wouldn't want someone to change the 800W spindle to 1.5kW and potentially melt the 0.75mm^2 wire that would be fine for the former...
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-01-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information