. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I am just having a break from making 4 brackets to hang a piece of scaffolding pole above where the lathe is to go, spreading the load over 4 joists. A friend is lending me a winch to take the weight of the machine and I reckon that with my son, son-in-law, next door neighbour and his two sons, we should have enough muscle to get the machine in place at the weekend.
    I live in Cropwell Bishop, South Notts, and thanks for the thought, but I am sure I can get the lathe installed.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    I am just having a break from making 4 brackets to hang a piece of scaffolding pole above where the lathe is to go, spreading the load over 4 joists. A friend is lending me a winch to take the weight of the machine and I reckon that with my son, son-in-law, next door neighbour and his two sons, we should have enough muscle to get the machine in place at the weekend.
    I live in Cropwell Bishop, South Notts, and thanks for the thought, but I am sure I can get the lathe installed.
    I think I'm probably just over-cautious, hence my consultation with my civil engineer friend, but it sounds a little scary to me; Of course I haven't seen the size and spacing of your joists.

I have read about a number of "iffy" sounding arrangement for lifting heavy machinery and they all seemed to have worked.

Good luck and don't forget the "totectors"

(I'm in Kenilworth, Warwickshire)

My favourite style of engineering is 'Victorian Steam', but the brackets ended up '50s Agricultural. Still I am a farm boy at heart (Fillongley, Warwickshire). Totectors will not be needed as I am not in the lift team. The joists are about 16 inches apart and are 7" x 2", mounted on brick walls at both ends.
    Last edited by cropwell; 09-03-2014 at 06:19 PM.

My favourite style of engineering is 'Victorian Steam', but the brackets ended up '50s Agricultural. Still I am a farm boy at heart (Fillongley, Warwickshire). Totectors will not be needed as I am not in the lift team. The joists are about 16 inches apart and are 7" x 2", mounted on brick walls at both ends.
    I know what you mean about Victorian vs agricultural. I also know Fillongley, I lived in Keresley for a while.

7x2 joists is good and much more substantial than my 4x2 so you're probably in with a fighting chance.

Mind someone doesn't step on your toe :-)

My standard wear in the workshop is a pair of trainer style safety shoes and I feel undressed without them.

Had a word with Hugh at Amadeal and I will be swapping the MT4 ER32 collet chuck for a flange mount one. This will be better for milling on a lathe as the MT chuck is not good with radial loads, being more designed for axial ones.
    Stuart - I PM'd you with something off topic

Rob T

Stuart - I PM'd you with something off topic

Rob T
    Yes, sorry. One of our daughters presented us with our first grandchild today so things have become a little hectic. It's late now but I will get back to you about it.

7. Why don't you ask to direct machine sellers.
    They will well entertain you OR guide you to choose.
    I suggest you to go for second hand option if and only if you can't afford to buy this kind of machine.

Quote Originally Posted by navins View Post
    Why don't you ask to direct machine sellers.
    They will well entertain you OR guide you to choose.
    I suggest you to go for second hand option if and only if you can't afford to buy this kind of machine.
    To get independant advice. A machine vendor will only tell you how wonderful /his/ machines are. He won't tell you about any of their faults or failings or that someone else has better machines or customer service.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Winsor View Post
    To get independant advice. A machine vendor will only tell you how wonderful /his/ machines are. He won't tell you about any of their faults or failings or that someone else has better machines or customer service.
    It is depend on you, where you are doing inquiry. Can I suggest one dealer from India.
    They are second hand Machine dealer.

10. Don't feed the spammers...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information