. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have a feeling that the decision is made ! Amadeal can better the Warco price and up the spec of the machine to have a 3 phase brushless motor with inverter. I am going to see them on Friday 3rd Jan and probably commit to buy.

Thanks for the input.

Regards

Rob

BTW - really appreciate the forum, those members with wisdom and experience, share it with good spirit. Old friends banter with good humour and there is a real 'blokes in sheds' feel.
    I have seen other forums degenerate to boasting or slanging matches and it destroys the forum. My son, who is wise beyond his 40 years (but still needs me to wire a plug) reminds me of two things : 1. Never argue with a fool in case he does the same. and 2. By demeaning others you only demean yourself.

My own motto is : If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, it's probably electrical.

2. Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    ...My own motto is : If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, it's probably electrical.
    If it moves and shouldn't - use duct tape;
    If it doesn't move and should - use WD40.

Last edited by irving2008; 31-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.

WD40 ??? Nah ! use the big 'ommer (IBM fine adjuster)

And if it doesn't move with a big hammer, find a bigger one. ..Clive

If shredding belts is your only problem with the Clarke have you considered changing the pulley & belt type?
    Apart from anything else it's an excuse for a lathe project ;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Have a look through Lathes.co.uk and see if you can pick up a good old one. Stay away from that myford crap though.
    In a strangely uninformed way he's right, the Myfords do tend to sell for far more than they're worth.
    That said almost all the arguments against a decent Super 7 at the right price for hobby use are based on lack of turning experience or simple inability to setup a job on a lathe.

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If shredding belts is your only problem with the Clarke have you considered changing the pulley & belt type?
    Apart from anything else it's an excuse for a lathe project ;-)

- Nick
    Yes Nick - it is an excuse for a lathe project. I will be changing the belt and pulley for something better, by buying a new machine. The Clarke is too small and too flimsy to be accurate. I am thinking in terms of changing it into a tool sharpener, or maybe just flog it for what I can get.

Cheers,

Rob

Well the die is cast, I have put a deposit on an Amadeal 290V-FF with 2 axis DRO and the brushless 3 phase motor with a Delta inverter. Just need to tidy up the workshop to get the new one in when it arrives in February. In the meantime I will be building a sudsoil distribution system, using the lathe as the principal slinging device.

Now to get down to the real task of making something half decent of my MD A4 crapezoidal machine. Design advice will be sought in a new thread.

Cheers,

Rob

Sounds nice. I'm going down on Saturday and Hugh has offered to special order in the belt drive version.

I think the real downside of the Myfords is the small spindle bore, otherwise they are a fine lathe. I think a re-conditioned one from Myford would have been a good buy if you were only turning small diameter stuff. (Yes, I know about the later "big bore" versions but you need rather more cash than many people have available)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information