. .
    Hiya, thought I'd better say hello! I run a small workshop where I bash lumps of hot metal, though I mostly make woodburning stoves, which means lots of mig welding too. I also have a very sweet capstan lathe and have recently acquired a centec 2a mill with a vertical head, which I would rather like to convert to cnc! The machine is a bit unusual as the head has a fine downfeed but does not look like the centec one, which is a bit strange. I hope to use it for milling aluminium blocks up to 25mm thick. I keep seeing kits all over ebay but have absolutely no idea where to begin, so please be patient and expect lots of thick blacksmith type questions...
    Cheers,
    Julian

Post a pic of the centec. Ive got one with a fine feed vertical head as well. I believe that three different types of head were made but I cant be sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweaver View Post
    . . . thick blacksmith type questions...
    Cheers,
    Julian
    Don't you go upsetting your fellow Blacksmiths now
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 01-01-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Do you go upsetting your fellow Blacksmiths now
    Ah, that should be read as "thick blacksmith" rather than "thick, blacksmith type"
    I'll try to figure out how to upload a picture of the head, but I'm sure it's not a centec, it's too square and the feed is different. It has a lever for rapid feed, but the worm mechanism must be oivoted out of the way in order to use it.

Fireweaver
    Welcome to the Forum M8
    Have sent you an PM
    Last edited by mekanik; 29-12-2013 at 03:01 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Post a pic of the centec. Ive got one with a fine feed vertical head as well. I believe that three different types of head were made but I cant be sure about that.
    I hope this works!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131130_114722.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	383.0 KB 
ID:	11145
    You can see the fine feed and the two bolts on sliders so the worm pivots away allowing use of the rapid feed lever. You can also see the bent knob on the gear range selector and the small chunk out of the bed.
    The quill is MT2 and is threaded, the collets go straight into the taper and don't need a drawbar as the nut holds them up into the taper. I only figured that out today haha.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    upsetting
    Hmmm, Very Good! ;-)

That's not a centec head. I think that both the MKI and MKII heads did not have a fine down feed at all and its definitely not the MKIII head, pictured below. Don't know what machine its from though.

Name:	20130331_194410.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	11146

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Hmmm, Very Good! ;-)
    And I try and avoid upsetting, it takes ages, I prefer to start thick and reduce! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    That's not a centec head. I think that both the MKI and MKII heads did not have a fine down feed at all and its definitely not the MKIII head, pictured below. Don't know what machine its from though.

Name:	20130331_194410.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	11146
    As I thought. It's quite a decent head but I can't identify it!

Thread Information