. .
    Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Curious what people use on aluminium to hold DTIs? I'm trying to measure a few things with a DTI on a machine which is made from aluminium / 316 stainless and of course mag bases don't stick to anything. I've tried clamping the base, but access is very tricky and measurements are not reliable. What the normal approach to such a problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    dsc.

2. Vacuum clamp, like the base on this vice, but only works on smooth surfaces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m_NQJAx0VJPXdl0fmyUZPHg.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	11121

Edit: look here VACUUM CLAMP BASE ONLY

expensive tho...
    Last edited by irving2008; 31-12-2013 at 12:08 AM.

I clamp a dial guage to a surface guage column and hold the base down firmly to take measurements, for awkward situations I've used a variety of woodwork clamps, ratchet straps and spare stock to hold bases down - if none of this is possible discrete tapped holes are a consideration,

- Nick

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Vacuum clamps - looks neat, but a bit costly. I guess I just need a few more clamps of different sizes, a few DTI holders and keep doing what I was trying before. I do often use a V-block, clamped to the surface, with a round rod clamped in the V and a DTI on the end. Not very flexible, but a full blown, even miniature mag base cannot be clamped / won't fit in the tight spaces due to the length of the rods.

Regards,
    dsc.

Uses compressed air, also shows use for cnc work
    V-Clamp, Vacuum clamps powered by compressed air.

If only I had a source of compressed air Eddy:)

Regards,
    dsc.

Location unknown. magma1974 Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    I stick magnetic base to spindle and use for mesurement on aluminium part

Thread Information