. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi Deisel,

Not sure how far you got with this, I'm making a small tumbler at the mo, but whilst looking around I found these two vids on YTube:

Both seem well designed / built and I can't see why they wouldn't scale up to a bigger barrel...

Oh, and m_c - try this:

http://www.abrasiveengineering.com/bkmassfin.html

...which I found the link for here:

http://www.candmtopline.com/faq.html

w./
    Last edited by Wal; 05-05-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Hi everyone, several years ago I used to help out a paint sprayer from a couple of units next to mine with cleaning both steel and aluminium parts before painting. Having a precast concrete business I had access to both a large concrete mixer and large vibrating table. Steel parts went in the mixer with dry black shot blasting sand. The aluminium parts used the same sand in plastic tubs sat on the vibrating table.

I have to say it cleaned them up a treat and far quicker than trying to do it by hand, we used the vibration method on the aluminium parts so they didn't get damaged with the mixers paddles. If anyone wants any help with making a vibrating table just give me a shout, happy to help.
    Mike

This is all good as I need to make a couple of tumblers for work to tumble the wedgepins we have as some are a little rusty on the outside straight from the machinists and some have a little surface rust from storage. I'll be checking out the videos and looking at what can be done. At the moment we use a small weed spray bottle adapted for the C4 lathe!! Would be interesting to see what's the best media for tumbling, what do people use for media for steel?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    what do people use for media for steel?
    According to the link above:

For polishing steel, stainless, aluminum and plastic parts, porcelain media is the most common media used. If you are doing stainless or other steels any shape of porcelain can be used. One of the most common polish medias used is a 3/16-3/8 angle cut cylinder. The theory is that a cylinder has more surface contact with the part than other shapes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information