. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has anyone made their own heavy duty tumbler im looking for some ideas/tips theres plenty of dinky ones available but i need something a fair size to cope with hundreds of alloy parts for deburring, removing machining marks to add a good key for powder coating and the likes,ta

Electric cement mixer.

oil drum size
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAwDTXFeUk
    Have you considered sand blasting ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 02-01-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Tip - curved sides help with movement of the media,

I did a make shift one a few years ago. used two round washing up bowls placed top to top and cut a hole out in the top one. fixed that to a board which was mounted on springs to a lower board. Fixed a spare ac motor to the bottom board with a lump of metal with an offset hole in to mount to the motor spindle. All done!

Sorry for lack of detail but recon you get the idea, now off to workshop.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

thanks both i did have a drum affair in mind ,i hadnt thought of a cement mixer nice idea!

Oil drum mounted like a spit roast, blades welded to the outside, wind powered tumbler, if you're quick you might catch the next lot of gales.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 02-01-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Tip - curved sides help with movement of the media,

I did a make shift one a few years ago. used two round washing up bowls placed top to top and cut a hole out in the top one. fixed that to a board which was mounted on springs to a lower board. Fixed a spare ac motor to the bottom board with a lump of metal with an offset hole in to mount to the motor spindle. All done!

Sorry for lack of detail but recon you get the idea, now off to workshop.
    thanks swarfing that sounds just like the one in the video, i follow this chap quite a bit with having simular interests its simple enough to put together but wasnt very effective in his case and he ended up buying one in.
    Tumbler Part 1 - home made - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Oil drum mounted like a spit roast, blades welded to the outside, wind powered tumbler, if you're quick you might catch the next lot of gales.
    that trumps my idea of steam power, genius

It helps that bowls have sloping sides which moves the media up the outsides to the middle. if you can mount the motor vertically then the media rotates
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've done a bit research into this, but not brought myself to build anything, as I can't decide between vibrate or tumble!

The most common commercial tumblers I found were essentially plastic lined square boxes with a couple bearings and a motor. On the homebrew front, the most popular method seemed to involve a plastic barrel in a mounting frame running on a couple bearings (just need to fit a new barrel when it wears out, whereas the commercial units have to be relined). Spin it end over end and you shouldn't need any baffles. Plastic is preferred as it helps reduce sound, and is far less likely to damage softer parts.

I'd love to speak to someone who's got experience with finishing methods, as I never found any real answers to what method works better for what. I know a lot will be down to media choice, and how quickly you want to acheive the desired result, however it would be good to find an independant opinion that isn't biased into selling me something!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information