. .
    Hi all,

Im trying to generate a toolpath in vcarve for a topography map to be milled in wood, something similar to the attached picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC2006_03.JPG 
Views:	498 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	11186

If 2 layers happen to stack up on the Z axis with a straight line, that's not a problem. However if the vertical stack is a curve is there anyway to copy a section of the path 'above'.

In the below example, assume a block 20mm thick, with section 1 on the face, section 2 being a 5mm cut, section 3 being a 10mm cut etc. Where 1 meets 2, I cant seem to 'close' the vector for part 2.

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	11187

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Lee

In case you don't get an answer here, have you asked this question on the Vectric forum ?

Vectric Forum • Index page

Just waiting for my registration to be approved !

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by lee.hatton View Post
    Hi all,

In the below example, assume a block 20mm thick, with section 1 on the face, section 2 being a 5mm cut, section 3 being a 10mm cut etc. Where 1 meets 2, I cant seem to 'close' the vector for part 2.

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	11187

Lee
    I am no expert but would you not have to draw another line on top of vector one and then you could join it to vector two if you see what I mean. ..Clive

I don't use V-carve pro but I would imagine separate Vectors on differant layers would easily sort that out.?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I don't use V-carve pro but I would imagine separate Vectors on differant layers would easily sort that out.?
    Yes that would be a better option perhaps easier. ..Clive

Hi both,

Yes I think you are right with seperate vectors on different layers, I'm just struggling to make the vector shapes identical for the small portion where they 'touch'

I imagine it can be done by copy/paste and manually cropping but just wondered if there was a smarter way to go about it.

Thanks for the input so far

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lee.hatton View Post
    Hi both,

I imagine it can be done by copy/paste and manually cropping but just wondered if there was a smarter way to go about it.

Lee
    Yes that's right copy and paste to another layer then use the snip tool to cut away the bit you don't want. ..Clive

Thread Information