. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in london, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-03-2014 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    Hi

I have 5 parts I need turned. There are 2 cylinders which are pprox. 440mm long and 25mm in diameter. The other 3 parts are approx. 450mm long and 6.7mm diameter. There is very important detailing and threading to be done on 2 of the parts.

Please let me know if you could take on the job. I will provide engineering drawings and 3D CAD files. I could also supply the steel round bar if neccessary.

Thanks

'450mm long and 6.7mm diameter'

That one is going to be challenging if the diameter needs to be remotely accurate, as the length to diameter ratio is very high.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

3. Will definitely need a good quality toolholder mounted travelling steady to get any degree of diametrical accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by ams View Post
    The other 3 parts are approx. 450mm long and 6.7mm diameter.
    Could you not go to 8mm or down to 6mm for these parts as per the other posts above this one?

.Me
    .Me

1/4" might also be an alternative if you're thinking about using standard stock
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 12-01-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    1/4" might also be an alternative if you're thinking about using standard stock
    Doh of course!
    .Me

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Swiss/sliding head lathe, or a roller box would take care of the 6.7mm.

Lives in london, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-03-2014 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    I cant change any dimensions unfortunately because these parts fit into the entire assembly, I'm sure there's room for error but it would be small and difficult for me to estimate. Anyone willing to take a crack at this?

9. Quote Originally Posted by ams View Post
    I cant change any dimensions unfortunately because these parts fit into the entire assembly, I'm sure there's room for error but it would be small and difficult for me to estimate. Anyone willing to take a crack at this?
    You're going to need someone with a lathe & travelling steady (or sliding head) that can turn 20"+ between centres. Can't think of anyone here, with the exception of maybe JohnS, that has a big enough lathe. What's the tolerance on the 6.7mm?

Also, the 'cylinders' - do they have an internal bore? Or are they solid?

I know someone who has access to a cylindrical grinder, rather than a lathe, that might be able to do the long thin parts as a 'homer'.
    Last edited by irving2008; 13-01-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    You're going to need someone with a lathe & travelling steady (or sliding head) that can turn 20"+ between centres. Can't think of anyone here, with the exception of maybe JohnS, that has a big enough lathe. What's the tolerance on the 6.7mm?

Also, the 'cylinders' - do they have an internal bore? Or are they solid?

I know someone who has access to a cylindrical grinder, rather than a lathe, that might be able to do the long thin parts as a 'homer'.
    Hi

Yes the 2 cylinders have an internal bore, the other 3 smaller parts are solid. If there's someone you think would be able to take this on please message me and I can send across drawings and 3d models.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information