. .
    Hello Folks
    My steel arrives tomorrow. . the machine I shall be building will be based on a commercial machine. with a flat top and rails under the sides to keep them hidden and less chance of damage. most of the stone I shall be cutting on the machine have decided will be 2.4 metres long and 1.2 metre wide between 100 and 250mm thick weights various at 300kg to 500kg on the cut, so base will certainly have to be strong enough to hold that with as little deflection as
    and of course I shall be keeping a Log.
    My question is when do you all start posting logs is it from day 1 and add to it as you go with questions to/ from the members.
    or do you build then post the log after building?.

Do it now and ask your questions there. This way people just coming to the thread after it's been going awhile can go back and see what it's relating too. If you post individual threads asking questions people may not answer because they don't see the full picture or my not get why your asking.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-01-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Hi Ramsbury,

Thanks for your question.

The official intension is that, if you have specific questions regarding a particular aspect of building a new machine, so for example you would like advice on selecting the best motor or servos to use, you would ask those questions in the relevant section, so in this example you would navigate to the Electronics section of the forum and start a new thread in the Stepper & Servo Motors sub-forum.

This helps others who may have similar questions to yourself, find the most relevant information much faster.

Then, once you’ve decided you have enough information to start designing a machine for your application, you would start a new thread offering your design for review (if applicable), in the relevant Machine Building sub-forum, so from your initial description it sounds like your machine will be of the typical moving gantry style machine and so you would start this new thread in the Gantry/Router Type Machine Building sub-forum.

Once you’re happy that all of the creases have been ironed with your design, it would be a good time to start a new thread in the forum that best fits your machine type, so in this instance the Gantry/Router Build Logs sub-forum.

The above being said, there are no requirements and your free and encouraged to do what you feel is the best for you. If a thread goes particularly off topic or content would serve best in another section of the forum, we can always step in and make the relevant changes to keep things more uniform.

As a side note, we haven’t seen a great many machines built for working with stone stock material. I do know of another who has an interest in this area and was looking to produce Head Stones for people's graves. Given your machines intended application I would strongly advise at minimum that you start a design thread, because as you correctly suggest, this machine will need quite a substantial frame/bed for the kind of weights you're looking to work with.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks,
    Lee
    .Me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

yes moving gantry type.

Where do I start the Build log?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbury View Post
    Where do I start the Build log?
    In one of the relevant sub-forums, located in the Machine Building section.

.Me
    .Me

Thread Information