Anything will do, as long as it gives an output format that your CAM package can accept. Most things seem to be happy with dxf, for example.
My machine is probably about as bendy as they come and still be usable, so if I can cut hardwoods, birch ply, and so on I'm sure that you will be OK for what you are planning to do with Traffolyte. Good luck!
Just by asking a few questions here I have an awful lot clarified.

Its very interesting to hear about your experience with linuxCNC / EMC. I see it runs on the LTS version of Ubuntu. I have always liked Ubuntu OS a lot. When ever I have experimented with Linux I have always found that to be one of the more easier and forgiving OSes in terms of drivers and user friendlyness.

Open source software in terms of machining I can see as being very useful particularly if you have the ability to code and thus modify to your own requirements.

My only hesitation about going down the Linux / EMC road is I already have a bit of a project on my hands in terms of this Chinese Router ie no manual, no support and a hotch potch of potantial control boards / steppers etc. From my experience of Linux experiments it has always resulted in issues with drivers, limited documentation etc. I guess this is inevitable as the motives behind coding linux projects are not always customer / consumer driven.

However that said how did you get on with Linux/CNC and getting it talking to your machine? Was it fairly painless or a pain in the backside?

Maybe like with general OS installation if you choose an older machine with average and non complex kit / intel cpu / intel chipset and standard ports etc maybe no issues?

I assume there must also be CAD and CAM linux projects? Does these come on the Linux CNC Distro or not?

Cheers for your feedback once again great info :) TY.