. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    The specs say that the MA860H will take both 80VAC and 110V DC, which is probably why it is more expensive.

I'll check out AliExpress and add DQ860MA to my list of possibles.

I don't touch mains projects and am quite happy to pay extra for a ready made SMPS.

Thanks
    Here PS806-5 Linear power supply. If you don't want to build one. ..Clive

Thanks Clive that's good to know. Hadn't consider the ready made linear route. I see it also gives 5v which would power the types of BoB which use terminals rather than USB power. All good info . . .
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Here PS806-5 Linear power supply. If you don't want to build one. ..Clive
    £114 including VAT and shipping ... wow.

So long as you don't need it within the next 2 weeks, I'll make you one for £65, but using a 600VA transformer not 500VA as 500VA is a bit on the small side for 4 motors. It wont look as pretty but it'll work.

I'm not going to try and encourage you to start touching mains projects, as I don't know your reasons for not doing so. However, should you decide to then there's a good thread detailing what to do and if you want any advice it wont cost a penny....
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-01-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

I don't need the electrics yet - not for a month or so. Need to finish the machine first.

That's a kind offer thankyou - but am I missing something then with this sort of thing?:

600W 60V 10A Switching Power Supply With Current Control Charger LED CCTV UKD | eBay

I've read that the back EMF of the steppers means you need to overspec the current of the SMPS - is that where the above would limit the performance of the 80V driver setup over the linear 600VA type?

As for mains there are just too many risks for me. Not only the first switch on, but later on with perhaps a poor earth or even a fire. I need something which has been built, tested and warranted so that I can get on with the bit I enjoy which is the Engineering and machining.

Thanks
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

This is what Leadshine say

"Regulated or Unregulated Power Supply
    Both regulated and unregulated power supplies can be used to supply the drive. However,
    unregulated power supplies are preferred due to their ability to withstand current surge. If regulated
    power supplies (such as most switching supplies.) are indeed used, it is important to have large
    current output rating to avoid problems like current clamp, for example using 4A supply for 3A
    motor-drive operation. On the other hand, if unregulated supply is used, one may use a power supply
    of lower current rating than that of motor (typically 50%~70% of motor current). The reason is that
    the drive draws current from the power supply capacitor of the unregulated supply only during the
    ON duration of the PWM cycle, but not during the OFF duration. Therefore, the average current
    withdrawn from power supply is considerably less than motor current. For example, two 3A motors
    can be well supplied by one power supply of 4A rating. "

As for mains there are just too many risks for me. Not only the first switch on, but later on with perhaps a poor earth or even a fire. I need something which has been built, tested and warranted so that I can get on with the bit I enjoy which is the Engineering and machining.
    I think this is a very sensible approach , in my opinion the unregulated power supply is best as it does not generate any noise type interference etc. ..Clive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information